3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 8:43 AM by Newsgroup_User

eventListeners, bindingUtils, garbageCollection and you...

bill.cabral
      Hey everyone,

I hope somewhere can help me with this, because I have been running in circles on this. I am developing on a fairly large application and have recently noticed that instances of my class that have event listeners of data binding tied to them cannot be garbage collected. It has led to some fantastically bizarre artifacts and some gross memory leaks. Multiple copies of screens modifying and accessing the same array collections and such...fun. The way I see it, there are three real solutions here...

1.) dictate that all programmers declare weak references when creating event listeners
      2.) create some sort of onDestroy method that kills bindings and removes eventlisteners when a child is removed from it's parent
      3.) override the addEventListener method to ensure that weak references are made, when people inevitable forget #1!

My questions are thrice: are those my only options?! Or have any of you more experienced folks conquered this situation in a more elegant, reliable way? If these are my only options, which is the best, in your opinions?

Thank you very much for any info you can give; I'm relatively new to Flex and while I understand the GC's terms and conditions, I'm hoping there is some way to avoid a massive rewrite/refactoring to make it work with me. Thanks again!

-=Bill
        • 1. Re: eventListeners, bindingUtils, garbageCollection and you...
          Level 7

"bill.cabral" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gdqvng$cav$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hey everyone,
          >
          > I hope somewhere can help me with this, because I have been running in
          > circles
          > on this. I am developing on a fairly large application and have recently
          > noticed that instances of my class that have event listeners of data
          > binding
          > tied to them cannot be garbage collected. It has led to some
          > fantastically
          > bizarre artifacts and some gross memory leaks. Multiple copies of screens
          > modifying and accessing the same array collections and such...fun. The
          > way I
          > see it, there are three real solutions here...
          >
          > 1.) dictate that all programmers declare weak references when creating
          > event
          > listeners
          > 2.) create some sort of onDestroy method that kills bindings and removes
          > eventlisteners when a child is removed from it's parent
          > 3.) override the addEventListener method to ensure that weak references
          > are
          > made, when people inevitable forget #1!
          >
          > My questions are thrice: are those my only options?! Or have any of you
          > more
          > experienced folks conquered this situation in a more elegant, reliable
          > way? If
          > these are my only options, which is the best, in your opinions?
          >
          > Thank you very much for any info you can give; I'm relatively new to Flex
          > and
          > while I understand the GC's terms and conditions, I'm hoping there is some
          > way
          > to avoid a massive rewrite/refactoring to make it work with me. Thanks
          > again!

There aren't any easy answers, but this might point you in the right
          direction:
          http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1733261879?bclid=1729365228&bctid=17412126 60

Keep in mind that any event listeners added within the scope of a component
          will be destroyed when the component is destroyed.

so this.addEventListener=OK
          that.addEventListener=may not be

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Re: eventListeners, bindingUtils, garbageCollection and you...
            bill.cabral Level 1
            Thank you very much, I'll check it out. I appreciate the assistance!
            • 3. Re: eventListeners, bindingUtils, garbageCollection and you...
              Level 7

"bill.cabral" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gdsovt$re0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thank you very much, I'll check it out. I appreciate the assistance!

You're welcome :-)