1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2008 8:36 AM by javastu

    building from flex builder vs ant task

      I have a flex application written using flex builder. When I build it and run it using flex builder, or create an air file from flex builder and run that, then my application works just fine.

      However, I would like people without copies of flexBuilder installed to be able to build my application, so I am using the flex ant task (flex-mxmlc) to build my application. As far as I can tell I have the same configuration, and the same libraries included in the ant task. However, when I run the air file generated by the ant task nothing happens. If you look in the task manager, you can see that the application is running, but the main window for the application never appears.

      I tried running the swf through a debug version of flash to get some log output, and I am getting a bunch of exceptions, the first of which is:
      VerifyError: Error #1014: Class flash.display::NativeWindow could not be found.

      at flash.display::MovieClip/nextFrame()
      at mx.managers::SystemManager/deferredNextFrame()
      at mx.managers::SystemManager/preloader_initProgressHandler()
      at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
      at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
      at mx.preloaders::Preloader/timerHandler()
      at flash.utils::Timer/_timerDispatch()
      at flash.utils::Timer/tick()

      It seems like it might not be finding the main flex library (flexlib.swc), is that where that class would be? In my ant task I have an include-libraries tag that points to that file.

      Anyone have any ideas?
        • 1. Re: building from flex builder vs ant task
          I experienced a similar problem (although the class that could not be found was different for me). Googling around I found someone who had a similar problem and claimed that using the flexlib.swc library was the culprit.

          The root of the problem is that the Flex SDK that comes bundled with the Flex Builder has libraries (under frameworks/libs) that are NOT included in plain free Flex SDK that you and I are presumably using on our build machines.

          When flexlib.swc is linked in, it causes certain classes to be required at runtime. Apparently when you compile these classes are linked in if available, but when they are not the compilation still succeeds. Only you get a VerifyError when you run the thing.

          What worked for me was to copy all the additional .swc files found in my Flex Builder SDK's frameworks/libs directory to the same directory on my build machine. Also you will need to copy the additional files under frameworks/locale/en_US.

          Rebuild and clear your browser's cache and it should then work.