2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2017 12:32 AM by Roei Tzoref

LSD Pixelation in Videos, is it possible?

clockooo

Is it possible with aftereffects to create some effects like in this video(and how can i find the options) (0;40) https://youtu.be/tt7gP_IW-1w?t=40s .

Is their a special name for this kind of effects and is it difficult to imlement in the videos(im beginner).

regards

• 1. Re: LSD Pixelation in Videos, is it possible?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any effect or compositing technique you have ever seen in any movie or video can be done in After Effects, you just have to think in layers, not try and do everything with a single plug-in or effect, and be willing to spend the time to learn about masking, blend modes, the user interface and a bunch of other stuff. If you are a beginner then you have to start with the basics and do some studying. Then  you have to learn how to separate elements from the background and get them on separate layers. You can do that with track mattes, by using selected colors or luminance values and by hand through a process called rotoscope. There are maybe a hundred different shots in that video, each shot would be a separate composition, then you would edit the shots together to make a similar video.

The search help field at the top right corner of AE is going to become your best friend. Start by typing rotoscope or masking there and start to study up on how to separate parts of the video into layers. When you've got that down, then type distortion effects in there and explore some of the various effects that come with AE. You may have to duplicate the separate layers and use different things on each duplicate. I don't have time, and it wouldn't really do you that much good if I gave you a step by step recipe for the effect that is happening at :40 because there are a lot of things going on in the frame. The best approach you can take is to carefully look at a frame and try and figure out how many layers there are, then figure out how to separate those elements and then start playing with effects.

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 9.45.37 PM.png

I see a background sky layer with color effects, the house is on another layer, the main actor is probably on a separate layer and so are the other folks. Right after this frame there are a bunch of other things that start happening, then the shot changes so that means a new composition and starting all over to try an figure out what all is going on in the scene...

Good luck. Here's a link to some of the basics: Basic AE

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LSD Pixelation in Videos, is it possible?
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

This specific example was probably not done through any compositing process or after effects. It is achievable by a very technical process called "data moshing". There are many user guides on how to do it. I would start here: http://datamoshing.com/

1 person found this helpful