5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2017 5:44 AM by Roei Tzoref

    Does anyone know this effect?


      Look at the bottom right and bottom left of the screen and click this link Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

      Notice the lines going under this thing does anyone know what this effect is? I am trying to recreate those two backgrounds to be use as live desktop background.

        • 1. Re: Does anyone know this effect?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

          Simple:  you animate the position on multiple layers in 2D space.  It appears those layers with the same color have been precomposed.

          • 2. Re: Does anyone know this effect?
            Kaplish Level 1

            How do i do that? I am kind of new to After Effects.

            • 3. Re: Does anyone know this effect?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

              Just a crazy idea: You could read the help or type Dace's keywords into a web search to find tutorials?! Sorry for being snarky, but seriously, simply get to it. Things won't happen magically.



              • 4. Re: Does anyone know this effect?
                Gutterfish Adobe Community Professional

                Good advice all around.  Kaplish you asking how to animate a layers position in 2d space?  If so then the project you are trying to create is too advanced for you at the moment.  Animating position across x & y is...hmmm, to say it's as basic as it gets would be an understatement.   Tutorials you want to follow will have names like: "Getting Starting in After Effects", "Introduction to After Effects".

                Even with the most basic tutorials you might have to take it upon yourself to do some research when you come across terms you do not understand.  After Effects Classroom in a Book might be a safe bet for you as they will touch things like what a layer is, what 2D space is & how to manipulate the position of said layer across the x,y coordinates of 2 dimensional space.

                In a way I almost feel like discouraging you from even trying.

                Because I am a Jedi & that's what Jedi's do. 

                Or maybe I'm not a Jedi.  Maybe I'm just a big Doody Head.

                Or maybe I'm somewhere in-between.

                • 5. Re: Does anyone know this effect?
                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

                  after you do some basic Ae training like the good folks suggested here, here are two different ways of achieving this type of animation:

                  1. with a shape layer. make one rectangle, add the repeater operator and set the offset position, number of copies and so forth. set a keyframe for the offset parameter

                  2. with a solid layer: add the Venetian blinds effect followed by a motion tile effect. adjust the parameters accordingly. set a keyframe for the tile center parameter


                  both of these techniques use the 3d switch of the layers to make them distort in perspective


                  here's a screenshots with all the modified properties revealed:

                  2 people found this helpful