1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 2:58 PM by Rossatron

lightroom got unworkably slow – why the hell?

Lalelu

my lightroom cc got suddenly incredible slow. I guess, somewhat like 10 days ago it stopped to work properly. I did not change anything, no new computer, no new plugins. its not just a little slow, its so slow, i can't work with it anymore. As i am a professional, its a real problem. for export of 40 web sized jpgs it needs a half an hour. for a preview around 10-20 seconds. unbearable. i first created a new catalog with lesser images – no change. the i updated – no change. I updated my system – no change. deactivated gpu – nothing.

As i am not a computer nerd, i am terribly lost on what to do now. can someone give me some advice a "normal" user can understand, please?

working with a MacBook Pro with sierra 10.12.5 (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3,

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

• 1. Re: lightroom got unworkably slow – why the hell?
          Rossatron

I have had the same issue.  I bought a Canon 1DXII recently and up until now I was using LR5 which was mostly fine, just a little lag.  As I had got a new camera LR5 no longer worked with the new files, which is incredibly frustrating.  I had to get CC and ok it is not too expensive, but what I massively resented was that is was basically UNUSABLE due to it being MASSIVELY slow.  So I had upgraded the software but downgraded the performance!!

I was all about to jump ship to Capture one, then tonight I came across a tick box in the preferences panel.  Under performance you can tick a box so that LR only uses the smart previews in the develop module.  This makes a HUGE difference to speed and LR is now usable again!  I have heard that LR does not utilise multi threading, which would explain why even though I have a 12 core Mac Pro with 64GB of RAM and a 2GB GPU, it is reaaaally slow in LR (unless) you do the above.

Making that setting change is the single most effective way of speeding up Lightroom I have come across.  Everything else I have seen hasn't helped! !

The trouble is, every time Adobe add some bell or whistle to LR it just slows it down and makes it useless.  Adobe, we want speed not gimmicks, well professionals do anyway.

Tony Northrup did a really good video on YouTube Adobe: FIX LIGHTROOM!! - YouTube

This is good too: 5 Tips to help make Adobe Lightroom Faster - YouTube