• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS Fills Macbook Pro SSD on opening

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a few threads about PS consuming memory (RAM), but none with my specific problem.

I have a brand new 2017 Macbook Pro 15 with Core I7 CPU, 16GB RAM, separate Radeon Pro 450 Graphics and 256GB SSD.  Aside from Office 365, so far the only program I have installed on it has been PS, the latest version.  Machine should be plenty fast enough to run anything.

With PS installed but not open, I have 212GB free.  But as soon as I open PS, without even doing anything else, my system tells me I only have anywhere between 49KB (yes, that's not a typo) and 51GB of memory left and I get the "Scratch disk" error as soon as I try to do anything.  It also says the system takes up up to 241GB of memory on its own.  Which it doesn't as long as PS isn't opened.

So I can't tidy up the SSD, because there aren't any files to clean and everything is fine as long as PS is closed, but I also can't do anything in PS because the act of opening it fills my hard drive completely so I can't do anything else.

Any help gratefully received

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That Problem has been reported and Adobe is working on it.  Try setting Photoshop Scratch off you boot disk onto some other disk with a huge amount of free space.  Photoshop Writes both Temp files and also uses Scratch space.  Separating these will spread the load.  If you Boot drive fills its a temp file problem if scratch fills it a Photoshop scratch problem.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JJ, I've been having a similar problems since updating to 1701.1.1 but with memory usage. I run a barebones version of PS with no add-ons at all. I noticed the latest version uses double the memory that the previous 3 versions did. My system only has 12g of system ram, but with previous versions I could run PS, LR and my email along with a web browser and the efficiency reading never went below 100%.

Now with this version if I just run LR with PS the efficiency reading dip below 60%. Pretty soon consumers will need a terabyte of ram just to load it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your reply.  I don't have another disk and having to buy a whole new one just to run PS seems a tad expensive. 

On a Mac the Boot drive and scratch drive are the same, apparently.  Is there any way I can stop PS creating so may temp files before I even start on the thing?  It just seems a little bizarre how 212GB isn't enough to run the program.  Is there a setting I can change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its most likely Scratch space filling you boot disk and I believe there must be a scratch disk set in you Photoshop preferences. The Space required for temp files should not be great.

https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?place=%2Fplaces%2F1413024&sort=updatedDesc&q=Mac+disk+full

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mid 2012 MBP.  500 GB SSD/16 GB ram/OSX 10.12.5

Only one time did my SSD ever fill up.  As it is Activity Monitor shows Photoshop taking up 2.9 MB of disk space.

I ran Disk Utility's First Aid and the problem never returned. I think I booted into the Recovery partition and ran it.

If that doesn't work, I'd suspect corrupted preferences and would reset those in Photoshop.

Hold down Cmd-Opt-Shift when starting Ps and delete the settings file when prompted.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines