2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 11:08 AM by Captiv8r

RH 7 custom variables vs. Find/Replace

maniac9999 Level 1
      Hi everyone,

Why is the custom variable function better than using Find and Replace in the "Multi Topic Find and Replace" in RH 7?

Or, is Find and Replace actually better?

I've only used the variable function a few times in some test projects.

Thanks,
      Jim
        • 1. Re: RH 7 custom variables vs. Find/Replace
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional
          Find and replace is as good as you remembering to do it and the tool you use. Not all tools work if the find is across multiple lines. You have to remember what to find and what the replace is.

Variables are built into the generation wizard so you see them and get a prompt.

Less chance of error.

• 2. Re: RH 7 custom variables vs. Find/Replace
            Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Hi Jim

Hopefully my wonderful colleague Peter won't mind my amplifying that a tad.

Maybe it will help to think of things this way. If you used a Find and Replace tool to accomplish this, you would have to launch it separately and let it work its way through all the topics if you wanted a different build. Then you would compile or generate your output.

With Variables, you could configure several layouts to do this for you. As Peter indicated, there is less of a chance of error. But moreover, it would also save you from having to remember to perform the Find and Replace operation. You would declare the variable value only once in the layout properties. Then all you would need to do is compile or generate the desired layout to get the customized version.

Cheers... Rick