Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Dimensions by Variable

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I have been allover the forum but still seem not to be able to find the right ressource.

Is there an EASY way to change certain values .. especially ie. WIDTH and HEIGHT of an object by an external file (excel, xml)

Also is there a way to give a path point (ie. top right corner of a rectangle) a specific ID and move it on the artboard by values (ie... move point B on x-axis 3mm to the left)

I wish it woule be as easy (and intuitive) as inserting a unique variable in the "width" field;)

thank you for your input!

best, Flo

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy, it's a relative term. I would certainly say though that doing javascript is easier than applescript or vbscript!

Reading spreadsheet (txt/csv) data is fairly easy with js, but it's all about writing that custom script for your needs.

As for path point IDs, I doubt it - although there's a pathPoints.getByName() function in the Object Model Viewer. I just don't see how one can set a 'name' property to a point in the UI, and I have not tested the setting of the 'name' property via script either.

Scaling width , height, making transforms is totally possible via scripting, and so is moving individual path points, except you'd probably have to deduce the one you want from their XY coordinates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great advice!

do you recommend any specific online-ressources for scripting with illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's the spot, you found it! Welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe, of course!

I am a beginner and looking for tutorials/finished code that I can alter (the the help of the forum!!:)

something like here for the canvas element... but maybe more illustrator&scripting oriented!

Demos — Fabric.js Javascript Canvas Library

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can start looking at the scripting guides from Adobe. There are pretty well done :

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/illustrator/sdk/CC2017/AI_ScriptGd.pdf

The reference is worth a Bible too:

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/illustrator/sdk/CC2017/Illustrator_JavaScript...

Or you may prefer lightweight tool such as

Adobe Illustrator CS6 Type Library JS: Table of Contents

Loic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perfect, thank you, will digg into all those!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you download the ExtendScript ToolKit, the Help > Object Model Viewer will have 'documentation' to help locate the scripting commands you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines