Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Captivate 2017 crash with "fatal error"

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

i was searching for this issue but didn't found a solution for us. So i writing down here my problem.

We think to buy Adobe Captivate 2017 for us. For this reason, we decided to test the 30-days trial version, to see if this Product is the right one and we are not running into problems. Before we will spend our money for the licens.

With the 30 trial version we run into some Problems.

Adobe Captivate 2017 crashes all the time when we insert some "Objects" or "Text Fields" and changed the Fonts, Colors or other style attributes of these.

This issue occures on 3 different Computers. It happens also after a fresh Windows intallation.

We started Captivate with "run as administrator". Created an empty Project.Then we inserted some Objects and changed the style attributes of these. Thereupon Captivate crashed randomly with the "fatal error" message.

Any idea what is going on ?? Why this happens on all our test computers?

Below you find our Computer setup and a dump file from Captivate.

Regards Dennis

Adobe Captivate 2017 Release 10.0.0.192

Comptuer 1:

• CPU: Intel Core I5 4300U 1,9GHZ and 2,5 GHZ
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • Windows: 8.1 Pro 64x
  • Harddrive: 250 GB SSD
  • All Softwares and Updates up to date.

Computer 2:

• CPU': Intel Core I5 4440 3.10 GHZ
  • RAM 8 GB
  • Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
  • Harddrive 250 GB SSD

Computer 3:

• CPU Intel Core I3 4150T 3.00 GHZ
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Harddrive: 250 GB SSD

00000001800764B8 (CPPublic): : WCPSEHException::operator=

0000000180076BAD (CPPublic): : CPExceptionUtils::GenerateCrashDump

0000000180076B32 (CPPublic): : CPExceptionUtils::GenerateCrashDumpFile

0000000180076F6E (CPPublic): : WCPSEHException::WCPSEHException

000000018007699D (CPPublic): : WCPSEHException::operator=

00007FFF234BECA5 (MSVCR110): : CxxThrowException

00007FFF234BD66B (MSVCR110): : _DestructExceptionObject

00007FFF234BD580 (MSVCR110): : _DestructExceptionObject

00007FFF234BE71C (MSVCR110): : _FrameUnwindFilter

00007FFF234BEFEB (MSVCR110): : _CxxFrameHandler

00007FFF49ECAB9D (ntdll): : _chkstk

00007FFF49E69913 (ntdll): : RtlImageNtHeaderEx

00007FFF49EC9CBA (ntdll): : KiUserExceptionDispatcher

0000000006EFE3BA (AFL): : adobe::afl::AString::SetString

0000000006EFC5B8 (AFL): : adobe::afl::AString::AString

0000000180046204 (CPPublic): : CPString::GetUTF8String

0000000000A4D7F0 (CPApplicationCore): : CPStringDictionary::GetKeyValue

00000000039B5EA9 (CaptivateUICore): : CPThemeColorSwatchView::UI_DoMouseEvent

00000000074A8367 (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::UI_Node::UI_DispatchPointerEventToLeaf

000000000749D8BB (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::PointerEvent::operator=

000000000748AE8D (dvaui): : dvaui::controls::UI_TabStop::UI_Draw

000000000748AEDB (dvaui): : dvaui::controls::UI_TabStop::UI_Draw

00000000074A89E6 (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::UI_Node::UI_DispatchPointerEventTowardsLeaf

00000000074A8490 (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::UI_Node::UI_DispatchPointerEventToTarget

00000000074A81E2 (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::UI_Node::UI_DispatchPointerEvent

00000000073AFA4C (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::OS_Window::UI_DispatchMouseEventFromOS

00000000073AE401 (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::OS_Window::UI_DispatchEvent

00000000073B07F9 (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::OS_Window::UI_HandleOSEvent

00000000073AD557 (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::OS_Window::StaticOSWindowWndProcImpl

00000000073B3773 (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::OS_Window::UI_UpdateScaleFactor

0000000003A48BA6 (CaptivateUICore): : CPFillButton::UI_SetLocalRectF

00000000073AD33A (dvaui): : dvaui::ui::OS_Window::StaticOSWindowWndProc

00007FFF484A1C24 (USER32): : CallWindowProcW

00007FFF484A156C (USER32): : DispatchMessageW

0000000140019EAE (AdobeCaptivate): : DispatchMessageW

000000014001A0A0 (AdobeCaptivate): : DispatchMessageW

000000014001AF32 (AdobeCaptivate): : DispatchMessageW

000000014001B8C8 (AdobeCaptivate): : DispatchMessageW

00007FFF481D8364 (KERNEL32): : BaseThreadInitThunk

00007FFF49E870D1 (ntdll): : RtlUserThreadStart

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis,

The machine specs look fine and the dump didn't indicate much. Since this is happening on all 3 machines you tested on so far, it seems to be something environment specific and we may have to start from this angle first.

Would you be able to check the following aspects:

1. Have you used any previous version of Captivate and did you face any such issues with any of those versions?

2. On these machines, are the user profiles for any user logging on to it created on the machine itself (like C drive) or is it on a network drive?

3. Would you be able to test running Captivate 2017 from a local Administrator account (non-domain) to check how it performs there?

Regards,
Sharad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sharad,

1. Have you used any previous version of Captivate and did you face any such issues with any of those versions?
    • We only have used this Version

2. On these machines, are the user profiles for any user logging on to it created on the machine itself (like C drive) or is it on           a network drive?

• All off our machines are local. The logging was created under C:\Programs\Captivate....
    • We don't use network drives.

3. Would you be able to test running Captivate 2017 from a local Administrator account (non-domain) to check how it           performs there?

• All of our User Accounts are local Administartor´s. There are not in a domian.
    • One of the machine is a complete blank Windows installation with all updates and required Software. No anti virus and not connected to the Network.

Regards Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please close Captivate and then try to  rename the Layouts folder to Layouts_old in

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets and then open Captivate to check the behavior.

Regards

Himanshu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Himanshu,

i had a 3 hour telephon call with Shaleen Kaushal Sr. Technical Support. We went trough all possibilitys via remote.

•     Uninstalled Captivate complete.
  •     Renamend differnt folders.
  •     Installed some hot fixes and so on.

Nothing seems to be working. In the end, we installed the 32 bit version of Captivate and it looks like that this works for us at the moment.

Now we try it with the 32 bit version. If we expect the same Issue. I will write it here down.

Regards Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi we had the same problem on two dieffernet pc's, where can I get the 32 bit version of captivate 2017`?

regards

Horst Tinnes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In case you wish to install the 32-bit version,  you may download the 32-bit installer for Captivate 2017 from the below link:

Download Adobe Captivate free trial | Adobe Captivate (2017 release)

This would install as trial and during installation, you may convert it into a full licensed version by activating it using your Adobe ID (in case of subscription) or using your Serial Number (for perpetual).

Regards,

Sharad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have same issue. Some were able to fix. Other users not so luck. This is really poor. Fix soon please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here - my crashes are typically around updating the slide notes. I feel as thought I have read every option to fix:

• logged out of app and relogged in
  • set to run as administrator
  • verified I was running latest release
  • deleted cache files
  • renamed folders

I am running windows 10, this is the poorest version of software I have experienced with Adobe. I am spending more time attempting to fix the application than I am actually using it. Of course, this means I am falling behind on my projects.  Any chance a fix is in sight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clean the Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that as well. Uninstalling the 64-bit and installing the 32-bit now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not defending Captivate but I am using it daily for many hours, on a desktop and a laptop. It is very weird that I'm not having those crashes which you are struggling with. There must be a reason for that difference. FYI: I do use both Win7 (to be able to use older versions of CP for questions) and Win10. Both systems have plenty of RAM and a graphics card, I run Captivate from an SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it, and I really do appreciate the help. Just going nuts here because the software crashes at the most awful time (not that there is ever a good time ). Crossing my fingers this software change works. Overall, I absolutely love Captivate, but I really question my decision to upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I checked the minimum running specs against my machine. Everything checked out. I had IT upgrade the RAM from 4 Gig to 8 Gig, and then I reloaded Adobe Captivate 64-bit. So far so good. I have been running the software for a few days now without incident. Hoping this doesn't jinx me.

So, in my experience, I do not think 4 Gig RAM is nearly enough to efficiently run this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fatal error.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to provide more information.

What version of Captivate?

What OS?

Are you launching with Run As Administratory privilege?

Are you on a corporate network?

Are your Default Location folders in Preferences set to local folders on your C drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod

Thanks for the reply! Please find my answer marked as below in bold n italic.

What version of Captivate?

Captivate 2017 - Captivate 9 is working so smooth - no trouble at all! I have uninstall Captivate 9 from my machine and installed Captivate 2017(32bit)

What OS?

Windows

Are you launching with Run As Administratory privilege?

Yes

Are you on a corporate network?

Yes

Are your Default Location folders in Preferences set to local folders on your C drive?

Yes it is set on c:

C:\Users\purvee.dave_DW\Documents\Adobe Captivate Cached Projects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, if Captivate is crashing with Fatal Errors, it's usually either permissions-based or else there is some kind of driver conflict.

To avoid permissions issues, reset your current Preferences (via doubleclicking the CleanPreferences.bat file found in the Utils directory of the Captivate install directory) then set up a few special folders at the root level of your C: drive.

I have these on my own system:

_Captivate_Project_Cache

_Captivate_Publish_Folder

_Captivate_Video_Demo

Once your Preferences have been reset (and anytime thereafter that you do reset Preferences again) point your Default Locations to these folders.  The video demo folder is also set in Preferences but under Recording > Video Demo.

To track down whether the crashes are being caused by driver conflicts, you will need to get your IT people involved, searching the Windows Error log to find out what happened at the exact time of the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod

Thank you so much.:)

I have applied all these reset settings as you've mentioned above. Lets see what is happening now.

Fingers Crossed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck ...!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Administrator privileges on your PC where you work?

Are you launching Captivate with Run As Administrator launch privilege?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am!!

I am launching Captivate 2017 with Run As Administrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it might be an issue with your user profile on that machine. 

Are you able to get another user to log into your machine with their user profile to see if they can replicate the error?  Does the error also occur if an IT person with full administrator privileges logs in and tries to replicate it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another user is using Adobe Captivate 2017 on his machine ( MAC OS) but he is not having that issue its is just happening on my machine... I am the only one who is facing this issue more often on my machine ( Windows OS)!!

Weird..

ABOUT ....

Are you able to get another user to log into your machine with their user profile to see if they can replicate the error?  Does the error also occur if an IT person with full administrator privileges logs in and tries to replicate it?

I am not sure.. I've to check

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources