3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 11:35 AM by BarbBinder

Tab stops in a paragraph style

joet082964 Level 3

I must be missing something simple but I can not figure out how to change some of my tab stops in a paragraph style.  The Paragraph Style Options/Tabs window won't allow me to move to the right so I can see/adjust all of the stops. I can open the Tabs panel and make changes, but that just creates an override. For example, there are 4 more stops to the right of the one shown here at approx 6.75.   What is this simpleton missing?

• 1. Re: Tab stops in a paragraph style
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The white left-pointing triangle above the ruler (to the right of your stop at 6.6944) indicates the width of the column of text. You can place tab stops to the right of the column width but they don't do anything.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tab stops in a paragraph style
            Scott Falkner Level 5

If you click and drag on the ruler below the tab stops you can scroll. Still, I prefer to edit tabs directly in text the use Redefine Style in the Paragraph Styles panel menu.

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tab stops in a paragraph style
              BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Tabs are so stressful for so many people! (My students routinely get an expression of dread on their faces when I bring up the topic.) I'm 100% with Scott on this. Use Type > Tabs to update the tab stops—the panel sits right over the selected text, there's no math or calculations, just drag the arrows left and right until they work, and then right click the style in the Paragraph Styles panel and Redefine Style to update all the paragraphs. For most people, it is so much easier and intuitive to it that way.

1 person found this helpful