4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 4:23 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Unbearable preview lag

zacharym12994201

I'm sorry this is another 'preview lag' post, but it's frustrating me to no end.

I have a brand new MSI Vortex with the below specs and I'm experiencing such bad preview lag, that everything is slow motion. It's so bad that I can't even put together simple comps with some 1080p clips.

- Dell P2715Q, MST turned OFF. (This is NOT the issue as I used another monitor and it was still lagging)

- I am using the newest version of AE (14.2)

- Windows 10 Enterprise

- i7-6700k

- Geforce 1070

- 32 GB DDR4

- Cache on my SSD, project on another drive

I swear I have tried EVERYTHING and it is still not working properly. I have tons of footage to go through and piece together, but not being able to preview is insanely frustrating.

• 1. Re: Unbearable preview lag
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're just trying to assemble clips together, use Premiere Pro. After Effects is not made for real time playback of video streams. After Effects is a compositing, visual effects, animation, and motion graphics tool with a focus on pixel-perfect accuracy. AE is not for video editing. As such, it must cache a preview before it plays anything back smoothly.

So, if you are just throwing a clip into AE and hitting spacebar, it is unsurprising that it isn't playing back smoothly right away.

If, however, you have your whole timeline cached (green line over the whole thing) and it's not playing back in real time, you have an issue and we can try to fix it.

• 2. Re: Unbearable preview lag
            zacharym12994201 Level 1

I understand that AE is not for putting footage together, but this problem hasn't always been around. For the company I work for, people here do indeed use AE to put together full movies and I've never had an issue. It's not the best obviously, but I feel as AE gets newer, the lag gets worse.

• 3. Re: Unbearable preview lag
              zacharym12994201 Level 1

I made a new project, set the comp to 60 fps, did a simple animation with a shape, let the comp cache, and I'm still getting a VERY jittery preview. Resolution of the preview is 1/2 and so is the playback options.

• 4. Re: Unbearable preview lag
                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi ZacharyM,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin