1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 14, 2008 1:23 AM by Sarthak Singhal

FW & Color Management Revisited

shutterthug Level 1
      I'm on OSX Leopard 10.5.5 and have a 30" hardware calibrated Cinema display. From what I understand, FW is not color managed—which means it strips profiles on export. I confirmed this using PS to open images saved out of FW.

That's all well and good, but what I can't figure out for the life of me is why when I'm designing in FW, the images and colors (mainly reds/oranges) INCLUDING VECTOR ARTWORK, appear more vivid in FW than when I view them in any other program (CS4, Firefox, Safari, Preview).

The only clue I have is that if I take my FW PNG and open it in PS, if I enable Soft Proofing using Monitor RGB and then Save for Web, I can see the color shift when check/uncheck "convert to sRGB."

It seems to me that FW defaults to Monitor RGB and automatically converts to sRGB on export—which in my case yields a noticeable color shift. It means I can't reasonably design for the Web when the colors I'm looking at aren't what I get when I export and view the page.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Am I the only one here? I saw another post from someone on a wide gamut monitor, but his situation may be different.