Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

round is not round

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I was given a 3d Model from a college which displays several shells into each other.

Its a .igs file.

I just placed some light, color and the orange Ball and started the 60h rendering. But why is it still not "round"

As you see the "Shells" you clearly see the corners.

Anyone a solution?

Is it because of the .igs import? That PHS can not handle it properly?

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-09 um 06.56.23.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

This is not my thing, but I remember a conversation about this a few years ago between Noel CarbonDag Fosse and Adobe engineer Chris Cox.  Unfortunately Noel and Chris no longer post here, but Dag might have some input.   I can't find that old thread, but this one might be related

Re: 3d display limits texture to 2048

Mylenium  is still active here, so he also might be able to shed some light.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not my thing, but I remember a conversation about this a few years ago between Noel CarbonDag Fosse and Adobe engineer Chris Cox.  Unfortunately Noel and Chris no longer post here, but Dag might have some input.   I can't find that old thread, but this one might be related

Re: 3d display limits texture to 2048

Mylenium  is still active here, so he also might be able to shed some light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn it 😞

Thank you for telling - i didn't know what to look for as 3d is also not my thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, don't give up.  We have a few 3D experts here.  I should have linked to this profile for instance.  davescm   (links to profiles send out thread notifications to those people making them aware of the thread.  Dave is a dead cert to come take a look )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Well Thanks anyway.

Then lets hope they have a clue.

(If not i will pass this to someone in the Hardwaredep. at the company i work. They have different 3d Tools. So if its really a matter of PHS is limited to textures - then their tools should render this over the weekend, if resources available)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

That does not look like a texture limit issue. Photoshop is quite capable of shading a sphere.

It is hard to be certain without seeing the model but I would be reasonably confident that this is an issue of the number of polygons. Some 3D programmes allow the mesh to fairly simple then apply modifiers to rendering and shading so that the surface looks smooth.

Look at these two spheres in Blender:

Whilst they look identical - look at the actual meshes are very different. The left model has far more polygons. They look the same because of the modifiers applied to divide the polygons and smooth  the view when shaded.

Now bring them into Photoshop exported as full meshes I get this (ignore the change in lighting)

But if I export the basic mesh without those modifiers applied and import to Photoshop  I get this

So in summary, I suspect that in your export/import process you are losing the finer mesh division/ smoothing

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

thank you for explaining.  Hmn.. as said i am not at all into 3D.

At the import i do not see any settings for Smoothing / mesh

We use Autodesk inventor and i was given stl files.  And the collegue said he don't see such options.

Now what i did with the Spheres  (as PHS cant substract elements)

that my college provided me one sphere cutted as i need and I multiplied it and reduced size. So i "Shelled" it on my own. and then added this Spot.

In the meandwhile i passed back the File to my Collegue and he rendered it with autodesk and its perfect.

If you (or someone else) feel like checking the files (you don't need to!) you can download at this link. WeTransfer

Its about 39MB contains my PSD file and the .stl files

All the best,

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I imported the models to blender.

The original Sphere in file  "Only 1 Sphere" appears to have far more polygons than the one in the  multiple spheres.

Your "One sphere" model:

Your MultiSphere model

Rendering that "One Sphere" model in Photoshop gave a smoother result - but the flat faces were still visible (the top lighting emphasises these)

A quick render of the same model in Blender - with the face shading set to "Smooth" gave a much smoother result

So I then exported the "Smooth" version as an obj file from Blender across to Photoshop where it rendered smoothly. This is your OnlyOneSphere .stl file imported to Blender - surface shading set to smooth and then exported as obj file which was opened in Photoshop , the surface colour set to blue and rendered.

* Don't worry about the colour shifts in the examples above , I was focussed on the surface smoothing and just applied the colour in Blender/Photoshop before each render not worrying about an exact match.

Conclusion - Photoshop is having trouble with the flat polygons in the .stl model. You need to smooth before exporting - if you do so, you can get a smooth result in Photoshop as per the last image.

Unfortunately I do not use Autodesk so cannot comment on how you could export differently.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.

Ok. Well I guess the Problem is that we do not have Bleder.

And as said my College is working with Autodesk and there he did not find any "Smoothening" options for export formats.

So it looks like that if I want to work on 3d Models in PHS i need to have blender or so..

The Export in Autodesk  - even with my MultiSphere model was smooth enough (in Autodesk) that you don't see corners.

So its a kind of incompatibility of 3d Files between autodesk and Photoshop....

Lot of thanks Dave!

I really appreciated your extended help on that case.   I hope this also will help other people running in several issues like this. 

P.s. You might be able to pass over that smoothed .obj file to me? So i can play with that and experiment a bit further?

Thanks,

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You could try an alternative export file format such as obj.

If you do want to use Blender - it is free, just google Blender 3D

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.s. You might be able to pass over that smoothed .obj file to me? So i can play with that and experiment a bit further?

Link sent via PM

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To finish off, a render in Blender based on copies of the model each scaled down and a sphere at the centre

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK. I knew that Blender is Free but unsure if also free for commercial use...

I also will try .obj export form autodesk inventor. 

Once again, a lot of thanks to you Dave 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines