• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flatten PDF without defects?

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export an ad that I've created in InDeisgn for print in a newspaper which I don't have any experience with, the production team has asked that I flatten the images and remove the transparency.

My understanding is that I do this by selecting PDF/X-1a (compatibility Acrobat 4) preset when exporting to PDF which will flatten my file for me. However, this creates a lot of 'defects' in the PDF. For example a white border line around an area of drop shadow. My question is, will this show up and affect the final print quality of the ad? Or better, what is a way I can flatten my file without getting defects?

I have checked the 'output preview; in Acrobat and the white box outline still shows even when I preview 'simulate overprinting' . I haven't used any pantone or spot colours.

I have also tried flattening the PDF from Acrobat but this just created even worse defects in my PDF file.

THANK YOU!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

If you want to see the effect of resolution on stitching artifacts you can "RIP" a PDF/X-1a into Photoshop and see the artifacts are only a problem at low res.

So here's a PDF opened at 72ppi:

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 8.19.34 AM.png

And the same PDF opened at  typical platemaker res 2400 ppi

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 8.23.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is, will this show up and affect the final print quality of the ad?

Stitching artifacts show up on low resolution devices (screens), so assuming the newspaper is outputting to a high resolution platemaker they will not show up in print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to see the effect of resolution on stitching artifacts you can "RIP" a PDF/X-1a into Photoshop and see the artifacts are only a problem at low res.

So here's a PDF opened at 72ppi:

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 8.19.34 AM.png

And the same PDF opened at  typical platemaker res 2400 ppi

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 8.23.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rob has given you excellent responses, but my advice when designing for archaic workflows such as this is design according and avoid transparency wherever possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines