1 2 3 4 Previous Next 129 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2018 2:55 AM by jsyboy75 Go to original post
      • 40. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
        R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As there are several potential issues with different fixes, which specific issue are you having?

Neil

• 41. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
          torchia1667 Level 1

Hi Nadia, just found my way here with a similar problem and found a solution (to my specific issue) through a process of elimination and with the aid of other posters' descriptions. So for what it's worth I write hoping it can help someone.

For what it's worth, I log it in case it can help someone.

Issue: gamma/blacks look correct in premiere and when export previewed in VLC, but come out way too dark and burned-out when export previewed in QT player but also when export uploaded to Vimeo.

I'm on newest premiere cc, on a custom-built mac tower 5.1 running el capitan with titan x 12gb on web drivers and using a samsung  LC34F791 21:9 super wide - hardly a colour-grading monitor but very accurate reproduction with way over 100% sRGB, in short: entirely up to the task with standard web-delivery.

As it turned out the issue was in the colour profile of the monitor which can be changed in preferences/display/colour.

I was set to Rec 709 which was the perpertrator. Upon switching to either default monitor profile or (as in my case) the standard sRGB 2.1 gamut, all is well again - and the export is uniform between all mentioned outputs.

So first place to always go to, it seems, is the os-based colour profile for the display.

Regards,

m

• 42. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
            nadiac46137127 Level 1

Hi Neil,

Basically I'm in the same situation as Markas (using 5k imac and premiere pro cc 2018, video color becomes washout and desaturated after export)

I have tried playing the video in different players like Quicktime, iTunes and VLC, and just like mentioned before, VLC shows the most similar color as what i expect and close to the premiere pro.

However, my question is, if the color really depends on what the player is, how should i judge the accurate color in premiere pro?

If the washout issue only comes with Quicktime and we should take VLC as reference, the color should not be different when uploading on facebook or youtube, unfortunately, what it looks like is almost same as in quicktime.

Although I've reset my imac color profile to the suggestion sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and the the color seems balanced between VLC and QT finally, I'm not sure if the problem has been solved or not since nothing has been changed when I watch the video using iphone or PC.

The way I get through it temporarily is to insert a LUT layer provided by Chris above to re-lighten the color.

Nadia

sample.png

• 43. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

Look at the intended use of the player ... Qt is for pure amateur computer playback. It's designed for use across the spectrum of computer users, where maybe what, .05% of the users will even have a calibrated computer monitor? It's not assumed to ever be used on broadcast TV. And it's set up to "enhance the viewing experience" meaning it shleps the signal unmercifully.

Premiere Pro is for professional editing use according to standard "stock" BT. (Rec) 709 standards. All exports have to be assumed to be possibly used for broadcast TV. Which is (almost everywhere these days) strictly standard Bt. (Rec) 709. So the design standards for PrPro have to be very different than the design standards for Qt.

VLC and Potplayer both allow for the user to set it to run a stock 709, or of course ... allow for "enhancing the viewer experience" ... which is to say, juicing the image, motion blur, all that which really just messes up the signal. At least they give you the option of showing a clean, unmodified signal.

Pro broadcast video editors go to pretty good lengths at some expense to see that 1) their monitors are fully capable of being calibrated to the Rec709 standards, 2) are routinely calibrated to ensure they are on the money, and almost always 3) have a spendy broadcast quality TV monitor hooked to their computer with an external calibrated LUT box as a final check on things. PrPro is designed to work within that process.

YouTube is an interesting mish-mash. Apparently, from the testing many have done, they initially transcode uploads to one video format/codec, then within a couple hours may (or may not!) re-encode that to a different format. Those that have the trouble of their uploads looking like 0-255 levels and gamma 2.2/4 shown instead at 16-235/gamma 2.1 haven't had their videos re-encoded to the second format.

If that's the case, on initial upload, park the file in your "private" folder on YouTube, select it and choose to 'retouch' it, but save it without doing anything. Within a couple hours YouTube will re-encode and it will look as it should, and then take it public.

The one thing you have to realize, is as a colorist has written: you can't fix gramma's green tv.

Meaning, once you've released that vid into 'the wild', very few will ever see that vid on a system with the same video calibration/viewing quality as yours, as so few computer systems & monitors (let alone tv's if it goes broadcast!) are even close to proper colorspace/gamma settings.

The colorist that wrote the above quip about gramma's tv had graded a commercial for broadcast. Went to visit his gramma in Wisconsin or someplace, and saw his commercial pop up in a show she was watching. Her tv was horribly off to the green side, which she didn't notice, and within that, his commercial looked like everything else on her tv. Green. Which was to say, "normal" to her (though he about puked ... lol)

So ... set your monitor to the appropriate color space and profile, and calibrate it with a puck & software system. If you can, take something from your system to a broadcast facility of pro editing/grading suite, and see if they can bring your clip up on their system so you can see how your efforts look on a really calibrated system pro level system.

Then ... just get to work. Trying to anticipate how it will look on 50 bazillion different computer screens ... to quote Gandalf: "That way lies madness!"

Neil

• 44. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                hakanahmet85@googlemail.c Level 1

I've come to realise over much time dealing with this very annoying issue, that it's simply a conflict between the colour space that Premier CC works in and the the P3 colour space of the newer i-mac screens.

You can change the profiles of your screen or re-calibrate it till the cows come home...video within premier will simply ignore it. The video footage within premier will not be effected - although the applications skin/user interface will change in contrast. In my opinion, the only solution to this is Adobe adding the ability to colour manage within premier...so that we can tell the program what screen we are using, so that everything runs in line and is displayed "correctly".

As it stands, premier simply adds colour and contrast on playback/on the timeline, the moment you export it and play back, it looks identical to the original source file (if you leave everything ungraded)

H

• 45. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

Well, it's a two-way street.

I'd dearly love it if PrPro allowed one to manage color space/profile settings like Resolve.

But Apple *always* limits their users in some way also ... such as giving you only P3 from your monitor.

Either one giving you more options would fix this for you.

Neil

• 46. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

Apple doesn't "only give P3" Neil... if gives other profile options too....but premier will choose to ignore them on any form of video playback.

Hakan

• 47. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                      dreamonhero Level 1

Yes. This is a very big problem for Adobe. Has been for a long time. It was stable a few months ago. If I rendered the media brought it into after effects then graded then Brough it back and and then rendered media. again. A very long process. Now it won't even support that. SO. Adobe. Please give us real answers. This is a nightmare.

• 48. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                        dreamonhero Level 1

The only thing I can do of it to remotely see the lumber color effects is if I throw a Technical preset on top. That is not how it should work.

You should bounce what you see.

• 49. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                          dreamonhero Level 1

It would be really Nice if you and Apple would get along. Also not be so arrogant in your responses.

• 50. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

dreamonhero  wrote

It would be really Nice if you and Apple would get along. Also not be so arrogant in your responses.

?

I'm just another user, so it's not my call at all. And ... arrogant? Weird. What is is. As noted, I'd vastly prefer if PrPro did give color management options, and have put in a F-R for that every year. That's being ... arrogant? Huh.

I've been to NAB several years ... and in the aisle-way talks, quite a number of hardware/software vendors lament that the days when Apple gave them a decent amount of  time to mod their firmware/software for new versions (and gave a rip about their comments to them or requests for help) seem to be long gone. Apple's primarily into devices now. Which is why many colorists, a group about as Mac-centric as exists on the planet, are jumping to PC's.

Which as a pc user, I find sad. I loved the ideal of the old Apple, where graphics pros mattered to them.

Neil

• 51. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                              Ale_Compleat Level 1

I mostly work in After Effects and often use flat-coloured solids with RGB values contained in my company's brand guidelines.

I use the same RGB colours to generate static images from Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, and After Effects.

The colours become washed only when I have to export any kind of moving pictures, exception made for GIFs coming from Photoshop.

I clearly don't have enough information to understand why there is such a difference between the preview in Premiere/After Effects and the rendered video (no matter the format, from what I tried so far), while such a difference does not exist between what I see in Premiere/After Effects and every other package and the final render of stills.

Even using the Export Frame functionality in Premiere produces results which then colour picked in Photoshop result in correct colours - which look fine on screen and when imported into different Social media platforms.

I'm not necessarily concerned about the difference between a multitude of screens, but more about the difference between my preview window and the final video.

I understand it's a broad question but a pointer to where to start understanding the root of the issue would really help.

Many thanks!

Ale

• 52. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

By preview, do you mean the one in the Export dialog? I know for some people that doesn't show the image exactly the same as in the Program monitor within PrPro nor as the media shows when re-imported or played in a proper player after export. I don't know why, as in my computer, that monitor shows the same thing as the Program monitor.

But I've never considered that a view of the media for anything but to show what you're exporting, not how it looks. As in the section of a timeline, the proportions, any 'black bars' on sides/bottom, that sort of thing. I've never had a problem with media exported being other than shown in the Program monitor when re-imported or in a proper player outside (VLC or PotPlayer).

So it's something where I don't understand why one would worry about the Export Settings dialog monitor.

Neil

• 53. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                  Ale_Compleat Level 1

Hi Neil,

I'm afraid the misunderstanding is due to my poor use of the terminology.

By "Preview" I mean the "Comp panel" in After Effects, and the "Source" or "Program" monitors in Premiere, which show no discrepancies.

When I export stills, these have colours matching exactly the ones in the Source and Program colours, while I struggle to obtain the same colours on video.

- The videos I export, playing on VLC are much brighter, or "washed" than the ones in the monitors. Same goes for YouTube.

- When I reimport the exported videos, I see the original colours in the monitors and Comp panel.

I hope this makes sense.

Here is an example of what it's happening to me:

Screenshot of the Program monitor (desired colours):

Program monitor.png

Still image exported from Premiere (desired colours, matching Program monitor):

Still from Premiere.png

Screenshot of an instance of render, exported using VLC's "Take snapshot" (Unexpected colours)

vlcsnap-2018-02-06-14h41m38s336.png

This difference is too substantial to be the result of my monitor being poorly set up, and a confirmation of this is the fact that stills match perfectly what I get in Premiere and After Effects, and whenever I used the same RGB values in any other graphic package.

Ale

• 54. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

What GPU are you using? If an Nvidia one, you can go into the Nvidia settings and the video tab and tell it to set the dynamic range to 0-255 period and that card settings over-ride players.

Also ... what color space/profile is your monitor using? PrPro is set for standard BT(Rec.) 709, which is sRGB.

Neil

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 55. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                      Ale_Compleat Level 1

My monitor operates in RGB space, but wouldn't this affect the colours evenly?

Unfortunately for me, I have to manage colours through the Intel Graphics Settings, which does not offer the possibility to override the player.

The solution you propose suggests that the video visualised on a calibrated system, either on VLC or on YouTube wouldn't look very different from the stills exported directly from the Adobe suite. This is because players installed on my PC or running in browser render the video differently than the monitors in Premiere and the viewport in After Effects.

Are these fair assumptions?

Ale

• 56. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                        chrisw44157881 Level 4

I believe you are having multiple issues, that's why it's confusing. You are grading with a wide gamut monitor, but premiere ignores it.

AE with -> simulate display turned off(even with color management on) is acting as a 'passthrough' for your monitor, once again in dumb mode like premiere. that is problem#1

#2 is that youtube doesn't do adobe rgb/p3. it does rec.709 or srgb gamma 2.2. its hdr can do rec.2020, but that's different.

#3 vimeo is rec. 709 2.2 16-235 using broadcast pixel encoding. (don't ask me why, its on their recommended encode page)

so.. to recap:

if you want AE to work for your monitor, set view-simulate display to your native color space of your monitor

if you want premiere to work with wide gamut, set lut from your native color monitor to rec. 709 2.2

if you want youtube, set monitor to rec. 709/srgb with fixes in previous thread inside chrome.( I haven't tested firefox)

if you want vimeo, set same as youtube but encode as 16-235.

if you want video player, either set your monitor to rec. 709 or use a color managed player like madvr

2 people found this helpful
                                        • 57. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                          Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ale_Compleat  wrote

My monitor operates in RGB space, but wouldn't this affect the colours evenly?

One thing you should realize from chrisw44157881's post is that there is no single RGB space. There are many of them. Because no display can show the full range of color that the eye can see, every display has limits, and each standard describes its own limits. The latest displays reproduce wider gamuts because display technology got better.

When you look at a graph comparing old and new RGB color spaces, you can see why colors might be affected unevenly when a video project is edited and viewed across applications, systems, and displays that use or assume different RGB spaces. Color management helps reconcile these differences. Some applications like Photoshop and After Effects support color management, but Premiere Pro doesn't yet.

In the past, most video editors only had to deal with one RGB gamut: the standard used by their reference monitor, such as NTSC. When video editing went digital, now they also had to account for the RGB standards used by computer displays and HDTV displays, such as sRGB and Rec. 709. Now we're in transition to the latest UHD video standards that specify much wider RGB gamuts, such as DCI-P3 and Rec. 2020.

A separate issue is whether the dynamic range is set to 0-255 or 16-235. While this is unrelated to RGB color spaces, it definitely contributes to the confusion.

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 58. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                            Ale_Compleat Level 1

One thing you should realize from chrisw44157881's post is that there is no single RGB space. There are many of them. Because no display can show the full range of color that the eye can see, every display has limits, and each standard describes its own limits.

I'm embarrassed to say that I only had a vague idea of what RGB standards were.

When you look at a graph comparing old and new RGB color spaces, you can see why colors might be affected unevenly when a video project is edited and viewed across applications, systems, and displays that use or assume different RGB spaces. Color management helps reconcile these differences. Some applications like Photoshop and After Effects support color management, but Premiere Pro doesn't yet.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm starting to put the pieces together, although I would love to read more.

On top of all the elements which make this problem so confusing, is the fact that my laptop has the Nvidia and the Intel settings competing to manage the colours in different applications. For instance, I can't figure out where I can adjust the dynamic range, as it's not possible to adjust it via the Nvidia settings and the Intel settings have only panels with information "dumbed down" and that doesn't seem to allow for specific values to be specified.

Thank you all for taking the time to share some knowledge.

• 59. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                              jsyboy75 Level 1

I've just started a similar thread with the same issue on an iMac Pro - obviously massively disappointing having spent a fortune on a new machine. Regardless of monitor calibration etc (I am only using the iMac Pro screen and it is set to iMac Colour space) - I just need Premiere Pro to export video as it looks IN Premiere Pro, that's it.

Changing any calibration will make no difference - the video, on the same screen, looks different when it comes out of Premiere Pro than it did when it was playing happily on Premiere's timeline. This was not an issue on an older 2011 iMac or a 2014 MacBook. Given that it's the delivery of the project it's a MASSIVE issue - it's no good giving me software to make films if I cannot get them out of it.

This is an issue that needs to be addressed by Adobe - surely that's what I'm paying for every month?

• 60. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                jsyboy75 Level 1

Markusw - did you ever find a solution to this? I've just invested in an iMac Pro and have the same issue so obviously I'm not happy.

nadiac46137127 I don't think we should have to 'get used to it' - that's not what I'm paying for.

• 61. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                  jsyboy75 Level 1

I have just run the following test, which to me confirms it is a Premier Pro export issue:

Set iMac Monitor display profile to "iMac"

Export file from premiere pro to H264 (or anything, it really doesn't matter)

Open H264 in Quicktime and put it next to the Premiere Pro Programme monitor for comparison.

The two video images are different - the export is washed out.

Leave everything on screen, in place - not even moving windows around - open Display profile settings for iMac and CHANGE them to sRGB IEC61966-2.1

The Exported QT movie is now the same as the Premiere Programme monitor - to clarify, the QT file changes but the Premiere Pro Programme window remains the same. - Flick back and forth between the monitor settings and the QT movie changes but NOT the Premiere Pro image.

When the H264 is uploaded to Vimeo and I look at Vimeo on a different device Vimeo displays the altered exported image - ie, the more washed out version. If I open Vimeo on the iMac and flip between the colour profiles I can see the colour changing on the uploaded video.

Whatever the iMac is showing pre upload doesn't really matter - Premier Pro is NOT exporting the same looking video that you see on the screen within Premiere Pro. Given that you cannot know where the film will be shown it MUST come out as Premiere Pro intended it - so this remains the problem - How do you export what you see in Premiere Pro so it looks EXACTLY the same.

• 62. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

PrPro does stock standard Rec709, which by definition is sRGB at 2.4 gamma. When you set you monitor to that, you got the same in both that and QuickTime,  right?

Because PrPro is ALWAYS showing if possible Rec709. When you have your rig set for something else, QuickTime is NOT showing the Rec709 file exported from PrPro in Rec709 *if the monitor is not set for Rec709*. As you noticed.

THAT is the problem. Put that exported file in a player that will recognize the file as Rec709 and honor that, you're fine. Which is to say Potplayer or VLC. QuickTime player isn't good about that.

What you can't control is "Gramma's green tv", as one colorist put it. He'd graded a commercial to dll b-cast sadards in Resolve, was visiting his gramma. As her tv was set horribly off to green, his beautifully graded work was all greenish ... like everything else on that tv.

What you actually proved is that PrPro works and exports in Rec709, and that when monitors are set otherwise, Rec709 files can look off in apps that don't set for Rec709 files properly.

Yup.

Neil

• 63. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                      jsyboy75 Level 1

Ok so why do I not have this issue with a 2011 iMac or a 2014 MacBook?

• 64. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

I'm not a Mac user, don't have them around to check. I'd bet however that the screens on those were set to sRGB or something very close to that. The newer ones are set to wider spaces 'natively', and that causes a color/gamma mismatch. Which isn't PrPro's "fault" or the fault of Apple/Mac. It's just a mismatch.

Which the user needs to set properly for the work they are doing. If you're doing standard digital moving images, it's nearly all in Rec709 ... needing an sRGB color space/profile at gamma 2.4. Although if your work is only going to be viewed on computers in typical bright office spaces, 2.4 might be a better gamma choice;  2.6 if designed for a darker environment viewing like a home movie room with no windows & dark walls.

Neil

• 65. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

So, the point being here premier ignores any attempt to set a different

colour space.. which is what is making it so frustrating for the people

suffering the issue.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 at 6:38 pm, R Neil Haugen <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 66. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

No. The point here is that PrPro works in the appropriate professional color space for the media, set by international standards. And that there are other spaces out there, NOT accepted however for professional media, that people use on their computers.

If you want accurate, you have to go by the same, defined standards. You can't have accurate without also having standards and sticking to them.

I can grade something in Resolve on my system, which has all sorts of options for what the hardware is to overcome this while working in Resolve. I then export the material, and ... on a non-appropriate color space in a non-managed player, it looks just like the PrPro export.

The problem is in using non-standard color spaces. The only control the editor/colorist has is to do things according to standard ... and recognize that their material won't look 'the same as on my rig' when seen by others, however ... it will look similar to all properly, professionally graded material on that system. As they'll all be off the same.

Neil

• 67. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                              jsyboy75 Level 1

This is all really interesting and I appreciate the responses however the problem is simply this:

When I change the colour profile of the iMac pro monitor, ie the whole thing, Premier Pro DOES NOT CHANGE. Premiere is ignoring the monitor colour profile in the Programme monitor. So whatever I grade will come out different what I see in the timeline.

I just need to change the picture profile of the Programme monitor and that will solve the issue - can this be done?

• 68. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                                jsyboy75 Level 1

@hakanahmet Yes. This is exactly my point. Regardless of what other monitoring systems there are available the iMac is being marketed as a tool that video makers “love” mainly because it’s a high powered all in one solution but if you cannot export what you are seeing on the screen It Doesn’t Work.

• 69. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

have you considered using a P3 to Rec.709 lut to help balance out the

issue? it's not 100%, but certainly helps when you tamper with the lut to

fine tune.

• 70. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                                    jsyboy75 Level 1

You mean apply the LUT in Compressor?

I've just put this on the other thread, might help:

This is the problem:

I have Premiere open.

I change the colour profile of the iMac display.

Logically this should change everything that I see on the screen.

Adobe IGNORES the iMac settings and switches the Program monitor window BACK to what it was before I switched the colour profile of the iMac to a new settings. You can see that every other window has changed, for example pink Title slugs are now a different shade of pink but the Program monitor remains unchanged.

Again - Everything else on the screen changes to the new iMac setting - just the Program monitor reverts back to the same colour every time.

• 71. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

No. basically the issue is that due to the incompatibility, footage is

looking more contrasty and saturated in PP the moment you import and view

it back... This then has a knock on effect where you apply much less grade,

which is why it looks washed out on export.

You apply the LUT via an adjustment layer on your timeline, which brings it

back to where it should match the original footage as shot. do your grade,

then remove the P3-rec.709 LUT on export. It will look super crushed in PP,

but look "correct" on export.

Make sense?

• 72. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                                        Ale_Compleat Level 1

jsyboy75  wrote

Adobe IGNORES the iMac settings and switches the Program monitor window BACK to what it was before I switched the colour profile of the iMac to a new settings. You can see that every other window has changed, for example pink Title slugs are now a different shade of pink but the Program monitor remains unchanged.

chrisw44157881 addressed this point in his previous comment:

Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem

This behaviour is to be expected, as the colour profile does not affect Premiere's monitor - i.e. what you see in the panel within Premiere when you're editing. As frustrating as it might be due to it being completely counter-intuitive, the rationale behind it actually makes sense, if you think about it.

I have tested the video rendered on different laptops and platforms, obtaining very different colours on each screen.

I was not able to replicate the colours of the Premiere monitor on VLC, but I'm now sure this depends on the fact that I can't set the Dynamic range gamut due to my very specific setup, but setting up the correct RGB profile on my laptop already got the video much closer to what I was visualising on Premiere.

Summary: Your monitor, Premiere, and your computer's video output might all have different settings, hence making the final outcome difficult to interpret. I believe with an iMac this should be easier as the monitor's settings can't be regulated separately (as opposed to my external monitor, which has its own panel to setup RGB values, profiles, etc). I might be incorrect on this last point, as I don't know what Apple's OS allows you to do.

• 73. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                                          jsyboy75 Level 1

Ok, I see.

But no, it doesn't make any sense to me I'm afraid and yes it is counter intuitive.

Yes it's possible to use external monitors (I used to with Media 100 15 years ago) but now we are using all in one systems - up until now I had been using an iMac and a Laptop with no issues whatsoever - what I saw on the Program monitor was what I saw on my exported file and what I sent to my clients - so why do I now have a problem on a new iMac Pro which is supposedly designed for Video users?

• 74. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                                            jsyboy75 Level 1

Yes, I can see that is a work around and it will have to do in the absence of Adobe allowing the iMac to tell it what colour profile to use on the monitor (just do that, Adobe - or give me the option to do that - problem would be solved)

• 75. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                                              jsyboy75 Level 1

Where can I download that LUT from? It's not a standard Premiere one

• 77. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                                                ryanm78426239 Level 1

sRGB is the correct answer to the problem.

I work on an Eizo monitor and when I switch from my calibrated profile to the built in sRGB profile - the color in Premiere perfectly matches the color of the export. When I work in Premiere with the calibrated profile - the color in Premiere does not match the export at all. It's pretty frustrating but I trust the calibrated profile over Premiere any day.

• 78. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                                                  jsyboy75 Level 1

Hi all,

Thank you to all who have commented on this issue, I am disappointed to have discovered it, not least since the investment of an iMac Pro has highlighted it.

The current solution is to use my old iMac as a target monitor and use that to check colours on (which is crazy, I know) but since Adobe Premiere Pro DOES NOT allow you to change the colour space of it's own Program Monitor window the only other way is to grade footage and then throw another adjustment layer on top so it looks correct on export.

I am told that Adobe are working on a solution to this issue (just allow us to change the colour space of the Program monitor - problem solved) but this will happen faster if YOU get involved and request the feature.

You can do this here:

Creative Cloud Wishform (not product specific)

Once again, thanks for all your input.

Alex

• 79. Re: Premiere Pro CC color / gamma shift on export - is a Premiere not Quicktime problem
                                                                                    jakeb14349422 Level 1

FYI, if you play your exported videos in VLC player they look the way they do in Premiere. It has to be a Quicktime issue.