Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why did my folder system change?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lightroom Users

I have been using Lightroom for roughly 5 years now and love the software.

Yesterday I encountered my first 'real' problem within Lightroom and I am at a loss as to how it happened and how I can resolve the problem.

In short, my 'Folder' system in the Library module has changed.

Rather than showing just the folders (Folder names) that I have created within Lightroom (as it always has) the folders panel is now acting like a browser of my hard drive and I am having to search out the folders by going through all drop down menus. Just like using 'Finder' on a Mac. How and why this has happened I do not know? I am always very strict about where I place my files when importing.

This is causing much frustration. I'd really appreciate some feedback to help resolve this problem. I am attaching two screen grabs of how the Folder structure now looks within the Lightroom Library module. One is an expanded view.

Your help is much appreciated. Cheers!

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 8.46.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-11 at 8.46.59 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

In the Folders panel, right-click on "/" and do Hide This Parent.  Then right-click on "Users" and do Hide This Parent.  Keep working your way down until you have just the folders showing that you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Folders panel, right-click on "/" and do Hide This Parent.  Then right-click on "Users" and do Hide This Parent.  Keep working your way down until you have just the folders showing that you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the help!

I have just started removing parent folders and this seems to be correcting the problem. A slightly laborious task but doing the trick!

The folders panel still looks different to me (size of font) and I'm still curious just why this happened in the first place? Any ideas?

Cheers and apologies for the last response........ just got busy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your question:

lukep43316151  wrote

How and why this has happened I do not know? I am always very strict about where I place my files when importing.

Apparently if you hold down the Option key on a Mac and drag the Library left panel border to the RIGHT it expands the path. I'm not on a Mac so can't test this, but try holing down the Option key and drag the Library left panel border to the LEFT.

Lightroom Folder panel - path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your time.

I've tried your little trick but I can't seem to drag the panel. No problem as I think I've got the issue sorted now.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines