1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 11, 2017 11:41 AM by Colin Holgate

Getting away from using scenes?

tmkisno4

Hi all, I'm new to animation, and animate cc, so I'm still learning. Currently I'm putting together a sort of story animation with narration.

Basically, in order to arrange my different scenes, I discovered the "Scenes" functionality in animate cc. I just split up everything into scenes, that way if I add/delete from each scene they operate independently.

The problem is now I want to add the narration/audio aspect that will span across the whole animation. I googled around and searched on these forums and the summary seems to be, "DON'T USE SCENES!!"...? If so, can anyone point me to a tutorial, or offer help as to what I'm supposed to be doing instead? How can I take the Scenes I do have and convert them over to the 'proper' method and then add audio?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Getting away from using scenes?
          Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

People who say don't use scenes are not necessarily right. It's a very convenient way to create a long animation and be able to test one scene at a time, until you're happy with the whole thing.

As you must be using AS3, to even see the scenes option, you can use Stream sync audio. The simplest solution to the problem would be to have one sound per scene, that starts on frame 1 of the scene and ends on the last frame of the scene. As it's set to Stream it will keep the animation playing in real time, even on slower machines. The several sounds should end up playing end to end ok in the final SWF.

Another solution would be to play each scene audio using code, but then you would need to keep the animation in time with the sound yourself. Might as well use the timeline for sound and have Flash Player deal with the sync.

If you want to stop using scenes, like if you're going to use the same animation in HTML5 Canvas, you could copy all of the frames from scene 2 and paste them after all of the frames of scene 1, and do the same for the other scenes.