1 2 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2018 6:54 AM by SammyBridges

Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank

kirstenj_2004

My Photoshop Elements was working like a charm for some time. All of a sudden, I open it and the menus under file, edit, etc are blank. Anyone experienced this? I'm running Windows 10 - it worked on Windows 10 for months, and it's suddenly doing this. Nothing has changed on the computer as far as I know.

• 1. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
          dhananjays36801738 Adobe Employee

Hi kirstenj,

Thanks for contacting Adobe forum.

I can understand you are facing issue with Adobe Elements in your  Windows 10 .

I would advice you to read and follow this forum thread.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Regards

Dhananjay

• 2. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
            Big_Shoe2

The option to return to a previous build no longer exists in the recovery section of my OS. I have been unable to find any other way to remove an update.

• 3. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
              Sukosuna

Removing the Creators update isn't an option as my device is owned by my company. Is there any fix planned for this to work with the creators update?

• 4. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                kirstenj_2004 Level 1

Update: just spoke to some guy from Adobe, and he says the problem is caused by my computer fonts. He said I have to contact Microsoft. Has anyone heard of anything like this? Is there an easy fix?

• 5. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                  Sukosuna Level 1

I doubt it's the fonts. We cannot install fonts on the computers in our company without an administrative account. The only change that happened at the same time as this problem was the latest Windows Version update. Besides, how would a bad font prevent the entire user interface from loading?

If you want to give it a shot, you can reset your fonts by opening control panel and clicking Appearance and Personalization, click Fonts, and then click Font settings on the left pane. Then you can click the button that says "Restore default font settings"

• 6. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                    stevef85408950 Level 1

Did the Adobe guy say what font was broken/missing?  That seems like an easy fix if a font just needs to be updated.

• 7. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                      Big_Shoe2 Level 1

The comments to this forum are causing me to believe that the problem really cannot be solved unless Adobe issues an update. Does anyone know whether the latest version of Photoshop Elements also has this problem?

• 8. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                        stevef85408950 Level 1

WOO HOO!  kb4025342 fixed it for me.  Nothing in the text says it should have, but it did.  I'm still at PSE9, so it might help everyone else having  the problem too.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                          tu56368057 Level 1

I tried almost all of the Tips and Suggestions to resolve the Blank Menu problem and NONE of them work. It was so frustrating to uninstall and reinstall PSE9 and follow all of those suggestions.

However, I came across stevef85408950's suggestion to uninstall the KB4025342 for it worked for him. I checked my Update history and this latest Security Update was installed on July 11 2017. This makes sense because I didn't have any problems the last time I used PSE9 sometime between July 4 - 7 and I encountered the Menu problem and the PSE9 crashing on July 16 and 17. PSE9 worked like a charm after I removed KB4025342. Thus, I urge you to try it out.

BTW, I'm not sure if the removal of KB4025342 Security Update will cause, but at least, PSE9 is working again.

• 10. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                            tu56368057 Level 1

After I thought that the Blank Menu problem is fixed by uninstalling KB4025342, I discovered that the problem came back again even after I uninstalled KB4025342. This happened after I started up my computer this evening. I also tried uninstalling KB4025376 since it was installed on July 12 which was almost the same day when the other update was installed. The  KB402537 is a Security Update for Adobe Flash Player and this did not fix the problem.

Now, Microsoft Windows discovered that the system was missing KB4025342 and KB4025376 and it had to reinstall this because it would make my system vulnerable since this was a Security Update. I then reinstalled both updates. After the software updates were reinstalled and after the system was restarted, the PSE9 started working again even if it had the KB4025342 and KB4025376 security updates.

Just for kicks, I decided to restart my system to see if the problem will reappear. Sure enough, the Blank Menu problem happened again. This indicates that I and the other fellow was mistaken that uninstalling KB4025342 and KB402537 would fix the problem. It is frustrating because we are now back to square one.

It appears that this is an Adobe Problem since removing any of Microsoft's updates does not fix the problem. I found out that this problem is happening from Adobe PSE 9 to 15 and there are no fixes at this point. It is so frustrating that None of the Tips and Suggestions offered to work around this problem DO NOT Work so don't bother following them.

I also noticed that when the label "Create a New Adobe ID" appears beside the "Sign In" label at the top, this means that the PSE9 is working fine. However if the  label "Create a New Adobe ID" does not appear beside the "Sign In" label at the top, this means that the PSE9 wasn't working for it doesn't have the menus and it would crash if you try to do anything else like resizing the window.

Would this observation help the Adobe Tech Support in fixing this problem?

• 11. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                              Big_Shoe2 Level 1

Removing a Microsoft security update is not an acceptable solution even if it works. Since I am not having problems with any other software, even including Adobe Premier Elements, it would appear to be a problem affecting only Adobe Photoshop Elements. However, I have seen nothing in this forum to indicate that Adobe plans to act.

• 12. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                tu56368057 Level 1

Yes, you are right that I shouldn't uninstall a MS Security Update. As mentioned in my follow up response, I said that PSE9 did not work after I started up the following day after I removed KB4025342. I then reinstalled the Security Update since Windows detected that I needed that Security Update. Up to now, I still have this problem with PSE9 and this is the only application software that is broken.

I am just ignoring this problem because I have Lightroom to help me finish my project.

I do believe that Adobe needs to address this problem because I found out that the blank menu problem happens in PSE 9 to 15. They cannot blame Microsoft for that since they have not released a Fix for this. Don't you think so?

I noticed that there are now many disgruntled PSE users that are complaining about this problem.

• 13. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                  gene1234567

I have just encountered the same problem and have no idea how to fix this issue.  What I have read does not sound promising.  I have PSE10 on two Toshiba laptops, and the one I usually work on presented this problem the other day.  I do a lot of Photoshop artwork and now have to scramble for a fix.  I am fed up with Microsoft Windows and am looking to move the a Mac.  At least I have the other laptop to continue to work with, until that does the same thing.  Very frustrating when what I do is a money-maker and heading into the busiest time of the year for me.  Does Adobe neglect addressing the issue so an upgrade is necessary? 

• 14. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                    stevef85408950 Level 1

SIGH...  Yeah, I went back to use PSE9 after I got it to work, and it's busted again.  Time to find another solution.  PSE isn't worth it.  I "might" be willing to upgrade if I knew it would work.

• 15. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                      mcdean3

I found something that works for me!!!  I've read through several forums and tried all of the suggestions. None of them worked until this.  It's still a little annoying but not all that difficult.  It seems that the fonts <Photoshop Large Regular> and <Photoshop Small Regular> are removed, altered or otherwise made unusable by one of the several recent Microsoft builds/updates.  If you check your fonts folder, you'll find that the 2 fonts are listed but they report a size of "0".

Each reboot causes the same action (font corruption).  I keep the two fonts on a flash drive and copy them back into the system fonts folder on reboot.  Of course I then have to reboot again. But it works!

It certainly isn't an ideal solution.  But it reality, it takes me about a minute and a half to get my Photoshop up and running (copying fonts and rebooting).  I'll keep my editorial comments about Microsoft and Adobe to myself.  But I'll say this... it seems like a fairly easy permanent fix if either of them was interested.

• 16. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                        danyg69930830

Hi

Yesterday i try to reload a pack of font and tryed to open pse , but this are always with the empty menu bar but i not rebooted the pc after the font upload

And

I have a microsoft update yesterday and now the menu reappears sundenly

I dont know if its the download from the font pack or the windows update  but now its working

I hope this will come like before with the update only by yours

I somebody can try only with the update

Thank you

• 17. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                          stevef85408950 Level 1

Where did you get the fonts?

• 18. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                            danyg69930830 Level 1

Hi

I found the link for the font pack on a other tread but i dont know where i try to search again later

When i find it i will link the post

Maybye if your lucky you find before me

Is speaking about the font missing and have a link to a zd    page with the pack  missingfont.7r something similary

• 19. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                              danyg69930830 Level 1
                                              hello, i found it, see link below and the link is in the post 16

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9677976#9677976

I download this file , scan with my antivirus, was ok and i unzip it in a new folder and install all the font

I understand nothing, yesterday evening was working, i just tryed now, and it s the same as before, no menu .........................    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• 20. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                danyg69930830 Level 1

I tryed to reload only the adobe font contened in the pack designed upper post then i reeboot the pc  and is reworking

I suppose windows delete this font sometime

But why . Mistery

Now i can work with my 2 pse 6 and 12

• 21. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                  j.pady Level 1

I just came down with this problem (PRE 9, Windows 10). I was working with PSE & PRE all week without problem, then on Friday (8/11/17) the drop-down menus in the Editor disappeared, and are garbled in Organizer. Distinctly different (see image below). However, the PRE menus are still fine.PSE9_Menus.jpg

• 22. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                    paulfc

Yep, I have been having the same issue. Spent nearly 2 hours on another chat with someone today. They told me it was a C:Drive issue and nothing to do with Adobe and told me to come to the forum where I find I am not alone. I hope Adobe are able to find a solution to this.

Adobe_blank_menus.JPG

• 23. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                      Anton+ Level 1

Finally found the cause and temporary solution here: Missing Fonts After Creators Update Installed

And: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4038303/fonts-installed-by-using-install-as-short cut-are-missing-after-a-syste

Thanks to: Dove Isaacs (Adobe systems incorporated)

• 24. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                        paulfc Level 1

Thanks for the find. The workaround does involve: "The FNTCACHE.DAT file is automatically rebuilt at system restart. Therefore, to use this workaround, you must delete this file before every system logoff. You may want to create a script that automatically runs at system logoff to delete the file." This seems above my pay grade of technical knowledge

• 25. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                          Anton+ Level 1

Yes, I agree, removing such a file requires certain knowledge about how Windows is shutting down and starting up.

Although I'm not afraid to use such an option, the option suggested by Microsoft is easier to implement, and therefor

I've choosen to go for that option. It really solves the problem!

How I did it:

Create a text file with the following content:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
                                                          "DisableFontBootCache"=dword:00000001

After creation, change the file name to something like DisableFontCache.reg

Windows probably will ask you if you're okay with changing the file extension. (You might need to make file extensions visible to do this)

Once created, double click the file. Windows will ask if you want to allow this app (registry editor) to make changes to your system --> Choose Yes

And next Windows warns you about the risk of making changes to the registry. --> Choose yes.

Next Windows will notifiy you if the registry key was succesfully added (or not)

You need to have administrator priviliges to carry out this type of actions.

To reverse above actions, make a copy of the file and name it EnableFontCache.reg

Change the file as shown below.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
                                                          "DisableFontBootCache"=dword:00000000

7 people found this helpful
                                                          • 26. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                            Geoff Kendall Level 1

The solution from Anton certainly looks very good at first sight - I'm seeing my menus again - and is pretty easy to do. On a PC, use the Notepad program to make your new file as a plain .txt file, then (after you have saved the file), change the file extension to be .reg rather than .txt . You can do that by right-clicking the file icon and selecting 'Rename', then just change the last three letters (after the DOT) to reg. You might need to change your Control Panel settings (File Explorer Options>>Show or hide file extensions) so that you can see the extension and change it.

Thanks Anton :-)

• 27. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                              paulfc Level 1

Hi Anton, that worked! Thank you for the tip. I now see all the text back in Elements. Thanks Anton for such an elegant and simple solution to a frustrating problem

• 28. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                tzs14477140

Hi Anton - I have followed all the steps (including creating and double clicking DisableFontCache.reg, then answer yes, then created EnableFontCache.reg file. PSE 10 is still not displaying properly. I must be missing something or not understanding something correctly. Many thanks for your help.

• 29. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                  Anton+ Level 1

Hi, just to be clear.

To solve the issue with the FontCache: only use the DisableFontCache.reg.  Use the EnableFontCache.reg once that Microsoft has released a real solution for this issue.

Forgot to mention: after using the DIsableFontCache.reg you have to restart your PC. Did you try this?

Regards, Anton

• 30. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                    tzs14477140 Level 1

Hi Anton - Once I restarted the PC it works fine. I also realize that I shouldn't run EnableFontCache.reg. Thank you very much!

• 31. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                      tailanc24928267

Another computer of mine that also has Windows 10 CU does not have this problem. I copied all the fonts from that computer on to a USB drive and pasted all those fonts into Control Panel -> Fonts on the computer that has the problem. After restarting Windows, the problem went away! Hopefully, it will stay away.

• 32. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                        gene1234567 Level 1

I have 2 Toshiba's with Windows 10, the first one everything in PSE10 went blank.  Now the newer one with PSE10 has several missing fonts.   I suspect this one will eventually go blank as well.  Is it necessary to upgrade to the most current version of PSE?  It's $70 to upgrade because it's not in the Adobe bundle.

• 33. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                          Anton+ Level 1

Since the problem with fonts is caused by the Microsoft Creators Update, it is likely that also newer Adobe software versions are influenced... so no guarantee that an Upgrade solves the problem.

On short term, the solution I've described above will fix the problem. Solution of Tailan will also work.

• 34. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                            rogerm4156994

Yes, thanks to Anton. I've checked this out on several occasions after

rebooting and no problems.

RogM

• 35. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                              gene1234567 Level 1

Thank you, but I am illiterate when it comes to doing something like recommend.  I would need to be guided on that process from start to finish, as I am not familiar with this side of using.  Do Macs have this issue as well? 

• 36. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                                KimRee

Thank you Anton. This fixed my problem also.

• 37. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                                  gene1234567 Level 1

So what are the steps to fix this problem? Unfortunately,  I have to have my hand held through this because am not sharp when it comes to digging in deeper other than using the software.

• 38. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                                    Anton+ Level 1

I don't know if this is working. I've put my registry files in a zip file accessible via this WeTransfer link.

WeTransfer

Download the zip file to a folder location of your choice.

Open this folder location, look for the zip file and open it with Windows Explorer.

Now in the Windows Explorer you should see something like:

Double-click the 20170816 DisableFontCache.reg file and follow instructions from my Original post.

If you don't trust this, use anti-virus software to check-out the zip file first.

If this is still too complex for you, find someone you trust to perform these actions.

• 39. Re: Photoshop Elements opens, but menus are blank
                                                                                      WalterSeaton

Anton's solution looks very elegant and I will try it. However, before I do, how will this change impact some older apps on my PC which were designed for a 32 bit operating system? Has anyone had the chance to check this?

1 2 Previous Next