OK, I have had a play with this, and this is where I am at.
1/ define this as a new brush preset
Increase the spacing, and set the angle to 180°
In Shape Dynamics set the Angle jitter to Direction
Place your type using a nice broad typeface and a mid to dark grey colour.
Incidentally, I did try using a embroidered texture I set up a week or so back when someone else asked a similar question. You can see why it does not work.
OK, on with the show. Give the type layer some Bevel & Emboss layer style using Smooth.
Now add a new layer and clip it to the type layer, and then paint over the letters following the direction of the lines and curves.
Note I have set the foreground colour to white, and we are seeing the dark grey letters behind the effect layer. You could change the contrast by adjusting the type layer colour, or adjusting the brush spacing. I'm sure you'll know what I mean. If I zoom in on this you'll see some compromise with the angle. I think I can improve on this.
No, not by much. My plan was to move the brush through an arc outside the curve of the letter, but it still gave me the crossed over threads effect. What I did improve on was to select each part of each letter so that the threads are in the right direction for each stage.
I hope this has been of some help, or at least given you some ideas to work with.
I came across this, linked from the Illustrator forum, a few weeks ago. If original poster has Photoshop and Illustrator it looks worth a go
Also take a look into Photoshop’s wind filter.
Hi Norman. It's always nice to see you posting here. :-)
Dave, the Illustrator method makes an excellent job, and addresses the edges, which I omitted, despite being worried about it not being right. I am having to do some actual work right now, but I'll have a look at a Photoshop solution when I have some time. Possibly by distorting the outline of a layer mask. I don't know how I would do it at this time though.
As soon as I thought about it I could see a way of doing it. Stoke a path with a dotted brush. I initially did it with black on a layer mask, but then decided it would better to use the background colour on a new layer. I left a couple of wee artifacts from rushing it. The worst one being an issue converting the selection to a path on the lower right slab serif of the A. I should have Alt clicked the points to fix the slight curves, but you'll get the idea. And a wee spherize to keep Norman happy.
Now I MUST do some work :-(