• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to embed mpeg-1 video that should be playable on both mac and windows (without need of flash player)

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a requirement of embedding a mpeg-1 video that should be playable without additional player or flash player on target machine. By means of programming, I was able to get it done, on windows, video plays fine (guess it is using windows media player internally). On mac, video plays fine (it is using quicktime internally) but some times video freezes if i forward or rewind.

And also I'm not able to embed a mpeg-1 video using Adobe Acrobat Pro Desktop software.

Could someone help me achieving this?

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reliable method is to add the video as an attachment. This would allow the native video player to play the movie but because the player is extracting the movie as it's being played, you're not going to get the smoothest performance. I suggest you rethink your solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Are you suggesting instead of adding as media, we should be adding as an attachment? If yes, can you suggest how I can get it done using Acrobat Pro?

And when you say rethink solution, are you suggesting its not good idea embed video as media or as an attachment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - If you want to rely on the OS default player, add the media as an attachment. Just open the attachments panel and drag the file into it.

If you can possibly avoid embedding the video in the PDF, I suggest you do so. A link to the video, either as a local file or on a media hosting service will work better than embedding it in the PDF itself. If you embed the video, the player can only play what's provided and Acrobat must spool out the file before it can get played. There's no way for Acrobat to compensate for the speed of the hard drive or degree of fragmentation, memory etc. As a local file, those issues go away. Likewise, if you link to a media hosting service, the player will be able to stream in the video compensating for bandwidth issues, player size and resolution, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Unfortuantely we are in a situation where we cannot avoid embedding the video in PDF. We are facing video freezing issue only on mac, specially when video is being played within PDF and when user tries to use track pad geustures for scrolling the PDF, looks like quick time is reacting to these gestures as play forward or rewind and user sees video freezing issues. Is there a way, we can disable players like quick time to react to track pad gestures or any other input gestures? So can we add some sort of transparent layer on top of video so that player that plays video would not react to gestures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines