• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SendTrackingDataAtEnd template - Any effect in HTML5 output?

Engaged ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Wondering if some SCORM guru around here could advise...

Wanting to know how 'Default' and 'SendTrackingDataAtEnd' SCORM templates that come with Captivate actually differ, I found under ...\Templates\Publish\LMS\Standard\SCORM\ the only difference seems to be that 'SendTrackingDataAtEnd'  uses some other 'SCORM_utilities.js' file than 'Default'. From what I read in the forums here I understand that 'SCORM_utilities.js' is only used for SWF. Does that mean that for HTML5 output it doesn't actually make any difference at all which template to pick?

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a SCORM guru at all, but always thought that if you don't change the Default it was the same as sending data at the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot tell you if it works differently for HTML5, but for SWF content the SendTrackingDataAtEnd template will only send data to the LMS at the end of the quiz rather than at each quiz question slide (as the normal SCORM template is coded to do). 

The SendTrackingDataAtEnd template was added to Captivate some years ago when it was found that some LMSs would crash under the load of too many Captivate users all doing a course at the same time.  This was because Captivate output is known to be quite "verbose" in terms of how much it tells the LMS.  To reduce load on the LMS, the SendTrackingDataAtEnd template only sends reporting data to the LMS once.  This takes a considerable burden of an over-stressed LMS.

If you want to test whether the HTML5 output differs, just create a simple project with say 10 quiz questions and publish it once to SWF and once to HTML5 as separate SCORMs, both using the SendTrackingDataAtEnd template.  Then upload to SCORM Cloud and check the log file after doing each one to see how many calls went to the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks both.

Guess I'll follow Rod's advise and play with it a bit on SCORM Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources