It seems the issue is specific to your clients website. Have you tried to disable Reader PDF handle in IE?
To disable Reader add-on you may check help page: Display PDF in browser Adobe Acrobat, Acrobat Reader
If you already have figured a solution to this problem, please respond with your findings that will help others.
1 person found this helpful
Hi Tariq. Thank you for your response.
Unfortunately, the steps in the link you provided is something that has been tried and does not resolve the issue. When we DISABLE the "Adobe PDF Reader" add on, it does successfully open the PDF in Adobe (instead of the Internet Explorer browser window), but a blank Internet Explorer browser window (like a shell) still opens as well. If we ENABLE, it opens in the Internet Browser window and no additional blank window appears. However, this is not a preferable workflow, because our users like for it to open in Adobe Acrobat so they can use the Typewriter, edit, and save directly to the original file.
It's more of an annoyance, than a problem, but it's odd that it occurs...and we can't seem to find any Adobe or Internet Explorer settings to prevent it. So, to me, it seems to be something scripted in the latest version of the web application, in how links are handled.