2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2017 11:28 AM by DevITSysAdmin

PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat, but also opens a blank IE page

DevITSysAdmin Level 1

Hi Adobe community!

I have a problem that I have been scratching my head on for quite a while! I even opened a discussion on the TechNet Internet Explorer forum, because I can't figure out where the issue lies, and if there is anything at all we can do on the "client side", or if it needs to be adjusted on the "server side" (by the website vendor). Details are below. Any suggestions are appreciated! 

Issue: Each time we click on a hyperlink to a open PDF in Internet Explorer (either 9 or 11), it opens the PDF normally in the Adobe Acrobat client (my default application to open PDFs), but it also opens a blank IE page that I can't seem to make go away. The users prefer to have it open directly into Acrobat client, so that they can use the Typewriter function, and save directly into the file.

Disclaimer: this issue is limited to an internal website from our vendor, which only started happening since their latest upgrade. It does not happen for other websites. I believe it is caused by the way their website is scripted, but they state otherwise, and that there must be Adobe or Internet Explorer settings that are causing this. So, I am checking to make sure I did not overlook anything.

TechNet forum (with full details): IE 9 or 11 - PDF opens in Adobe Reader client, but also opens a blank IE page

System configuration: Windows 7 x64, happens in IE 9 or IE 11 (11.0.9600.18638). Adobe Reader XI (11.0.20), Adobe Acrobat (9, 10, or 11) are simultaneously installed.

Troubleshooting performed:

In Adobe Reader & Acrobat, these settings have been tried (with no success):

• Edit > General > Preferences> PDF Handler: Adobe Reader (although it doesn't matter which is selected; it still opens second blank page)
      • Edit > Preferences > Internet > all checkboxes are unchecked (this was normally all that was needed before; however, it still opens second blank page)

In IE, these settings have been tried (with no success):

• Internet Options > Security > Internet, Intranet, & Trusted Sites: tested all 3 zones with LOW & File Download is "ENABLE" (still opens second blank page)
      • Tools > Manage Add-Ons > (4) Adobe add-ons all set to DISABLED (opens PDF in Adobe, but it still opens second blank page)
      • NOTE: if the 'Adobe Reader PDF' add-on is ENABLED, it opens the PDF in the IE page, which is normally the blank one, but then it no longer opens up in Adobe Acrobat which is the intention...so they can use the Typewriter function on the live file...
      • Tools > Compatibility View (on or off, doesn't make a difference; still opens the second blank page)
      • Rebooting in Safe Mode.
      • IE \ Tools \ Internet Options \ Advanced \ Reset
      • IE \ Tools \ Internet Options \ Security \ Reset all zones to default level
      • IE \ Tools \ Internet Options \ Security (changed all to the lowest setting)
      • IE \ Tools \ Internet Options \ Security \ [unchecked] enable protected mode
      • IE \ Tools \ Internet Options \ Advanced \ [checked] Enable third-party browser extensions
      • IE \ Tools \ Compatibility View (with or without any or all of the options checked)

Thank you so much for your feedback!

• 1. Re: PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat, but also opens a blank IE page
          Tariq Dar Adobe Employee

Hi DevITSysAdmin,

It seems the issue is specific to your clients website. Have you tried to disable Reader PDF handle in IE?

To disable Reader add-on you may check help page: Display PDF in browser Adobe Acrobat, Acrobat Reader

If you already have figured a solution to this problem, please respond with your findings that will help others.

-Tariq Dar.

• 2. Re: PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat, but also opens a blank IE page
            DevITSysAdmin Level 1

Hi Tariq. Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, the steps in the link you provided is something that has been tried and does not resolve the issue. When we DISABLE the "Adobe PDF Reader" add on, it does successfully open the PDF in Adobe (instead of the Internet Explorer browser window), but a blank Internet Explorer browser window (like a shell) still opens as well. If we ENABLE, it opens in the Internet Browser window and no additional blank window appears. However, this is not a preferable workflow, because our users like for it to open in Adobe Acrobat so they can use the Typewriter, edit, and save directly to the original file.

It's more of an annoyance, than a problem, but it's odd that it occurs...and we can't seem to find any Adobe or Internet Explorer settings to prevent it. So, to me, it seems to be something scripted in the latest version of the web application, in how links are handled.

Thank you!

1 person found this helpful