2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 4:07 AM by hatstead

Resizing of photos

derrickt11622778

I recently purchased Elements 15 and the difficulty I am having is that when I download a photo (in jpeg format) the size of the photo is (say) 8mb. After I have carried out a few edits the photo is in psd format and the size has grown to (say) 500 mb. I have been told that I need to "flatten" the photo, which presumably means combining the layers, and converting back to jpeg. I am having difficulty understanding how this is done, especially as the photoclub requires a photo of no more than 2 mb in jpeg format. This process clearly needs to have as little reduction in photo quality as possible. The user manual does not seem to deal with this issue.

I would really appreciate someone explaining to me how to achieve the above, especially taking into account that I am 75 years old and not really very IT literate. Explaining which keys and functions to use and what to watch out for would be of enormous assistance.

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Derrick.

• 1. Re: Resizing of photos
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Moving to the Elements forum.

• 2. Re: Resizing of photos
            hatstead Adobe Community Professional

JPEG is the standard format for compressing photographs. 1 Open an image and choose File > Save For Web. 2 Choose JPEG from the optimization format menu. 3 To optimize to a specific file size, click the arrow to the right of the Preset menu, and then click Optimize To File Size. Enter a number in the Desired File Size text box, and select either Current Settings, which optimizes for the current settings, or Auto Select GIF/JPEG, which automatically determines whether JPEG or GIF is the better format. 4 Do one of the following to specify the compression level: • Choose a quality option (Low, Medium, High, and so on) from the pop-up menu under the optimization format menu. • Click the arrow in the Quality menu and drag the Quality pop-up slider. • Enter a value between 0 and 100 in the Quality box. The higher the Quality setting, the more detail is preserved in the optimized image, but the larger the file size. View the optimized image at several quality settings to determine the best balance between quality and file size.