2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 8:41 AM by ohmnath

InDesign javascript adding markup tags with findGrep, findWhat regex returning 0 results

hladdha123 Level 1

Hi,

We are trying to create a script for synchwronizing data with our db and indesign. For the same, I am trying to write a small script to add XML structure to an existing document that has data in this format -

Now, to synchronize this data with our database I wanted to add xml markup to each individual question as shown in above image. For this, we tried to write the following script -

main();
      function main(){
      app.scriptPreferences.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevels.interactWithAll;

if(app.documents.length != 0){
      if(app.selection.length != 0){
      for(var myCounter = 0; myCounter < app.selection.length; myCounter ++){
      switch(app.selection[myCounter].constructor.name){
      case "TextFrame":
      myObjectList.push(app.selection[myCounter]);
      break;
      default:
      if(app.selection.length == 1){
                                      //var qs_item_regex = "^1\.\s*(\r|.)*?(?=^2\.\s*)";
      var qs_item_regex = "^[0-9]+\.\\t(\\r|.)*?(?=^[0-9]+\\.\\t)";
                                      var qs_item_id_regex = "([0-9])+(?=\\.\\s*(.|\\s|\\r)*)"; //Tried ^[0-9]+(?=\.\s|\t) but results 0 results, any suggestions why ?
                                      var qs_item_text_regex = "(?=[0-9]+\\.\\s)(.|\\s|\\r)*(?=\\(a\\))";
                                      var qs_item_options_regex = "(?!^\\s)\\(a\\)(.|\\s)*";
                                      var tags = [{regex: qs_item_id_regex, name: "ex_item_id"},
                                          {regex: qs_item_options_regex, name: "qs_item_options"},
                                          {regex: qs_item_text_regex, name: "qs_item_text"}
                                      ];
                                          for(var i=0; i<tags.length; i++){
                                              try{
                                                      var newTag = app.activeDocument.xmlTags.add(tags[i].name);
                                              } catch(e){}
                                              var style=null;
                                              try {
                                                     style = app.activeDocument.characterStyles.item(tags[i].name);
                                               } catch (e){
                                                      style = app.activeDocument.characterStyles.add({name: tags[i].name});
                                               }
                                              if(style!=null) tags[i]['style'] = style;
                                          }
      //If text is selected, then get the parent text frame.
      switch(app.selection[myCounter].constructor.name){
      case "Text":
      case "InsertionPoint":
      case "Character":
      case "Word":
      case "Line":
      case "TextStyleRange":
      case "Paragraph":
      case "TextColumn":
                                              app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = null;
                                              app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = qs_item_regex;
                                              app.changeGrepPreferences.markupTag="ex_item";
                                              var results = app.selection[0].findGrep();
                                              app.selection[0].changeGrep();
                                              for(var i=0; i<results.length;i++){
                                                  var item = results[i];
                                                  item.select();
                                                  for(var j=0;j<tags.length;j++){
                                                      app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = tags[j].regex;
                                                          app.changeGrepPreferences.markupTag=tags[j].name;
                                                      var item_ids = item.findGrep();
                                                      if(item_ids !=null && item_ids.length > 0) {
                                                              item_ids[0].changeGrep();
                                                      }
                                                  }
                                              }
                                              //app.findTextPreferences = app.changeTextPreferences = null;
                                              //app.findTextPreferences.appliedParagraphStyles = "ex_item"; 
                                              //app.changeTextPreferences.markupTag = "ex_item";
                                              //app.activeDocument.changeText();
                                              //app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = app.changeTextPreferences = app.findTextPreferences = null;
                                              break;
      }

}
      break;
      }
      }
      }
      }
      }

But, the output we are getting is -

regex2.png

The regex seems to be working correcty but I am not sure why only "qs_item_options" xml tag is coming under each "ex_item"

and not the others like "qs_item_id", "qs_item_text".

I am getting search results for all of them in my debugger, see debugger screenshot below -

Any suggestions as to how to debug this issue and / or suggestions on how to optimize / fix this script ?

#UPDATE 1:
      So, to try and fix this I replaced "item_ids[0].changeGrep()" (in above screenshot, line 79) to "app.selection[0].changeGrep();" and did the same to with findGrep - "app.selection[0].findGrep();" Now, the structure that I am getting in my XML is -

Now, If you notice for some of the elements in (ex_item_id = 2,4,5) - qs_item_text has not been created. So, I tried to debug my regex for qs_item_text to see if the elements with ex_item_id = 2 returns successfully or not.

Here is the data from the debug console at the highlighted breakpoint in the above screenshot -

item_ids.length;
      Result: 0
      tags[j];
      Result: [object Object]
      tags[j].name;
      Result: qs_item_text
      tags[j].regex;
      Result: (?=[0-9]+\.\s)(.|\s|\r)*(?=\(a\))
      app.selection[0].contents;
      Result: 2. Aftab tells his daughter, “Seven years ago, I was seven times as old as you were then. Also, three years from now, I shall be three times as old  as you will be.” The present ages of Aftab and his daughter would be :
      (a) 42 years; 12 years (b) 36 years; 12 years
      (c) 45 years; 10 years (d) 42 years; 8 years

So, on checking the regex online I found errors like "catastrophic backtracking found in regex" indicating this is not the correct regex for my case.
      But my regex is working for some questions like -

"1. A man is 3 years older than his wife and four times as odd old as his son. If the son becomes 15 years old after 3 years, what is the present age of wife?                [SSC (GL),  2010]

(a) 60 years (b) 51 years (c) 48 years (d) 45 years"

and not for ones like -

"2. Aftab tells his daughter, “Seven years ago, I was seven times as old as you were then. Also, three years from now, I shall be three times as old  as you will be.” The present ages of Aftab and his daughter would be :

(a) 42 years; 12 years (b) 36 years; 12 years

(c) 45 years; 10 years (d) 42 years; 8 years"

So, now can anyone suggest me the correct regexes for creating separate XML tags for findGrep results with text strings or what should I add to my regex to make this work.

Message was edited by: Harshit Laddha