• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incorrect display of RTL ornate parentheses in ADE 4.5.5

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating an EPUB with InDesgin CS6. The document has both Arabic (RTL) and English (LTR) text.

In Arabic, although text is RTL, numerals are LTR.

In the Arabic section I am using numerals (LTR) within ornate parentheses (RTL). A paragraph style has been applied to the text and a character style to the numerals to ensure correct text direction. A sample is as follows:

Ornate-parentheses-capture.JPG

The Unicode for these ornate parentheses is as follows:

• FD3F  ORNATE RIGHT PARENTHESIS
  • ‎FD3E  ORNATE LEFT PARENTHESIS

The parentheses are displayed correctly in InDesign and all the EPUB readers I have tested with, apart from Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.5. For some reason, in ADE the direction of the parentheses is reversed, as follows:

Ornate-parentheses-capture-ADE.JPG

Why is ADE the only reader I can find that behaves like this, is it another bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it now on ADE v. 4.5.4.165157

The brackets showed in accurate orientation as intended in page 1, while it shows flipped like in your screenshot on second page.

The odd thing is I have a single page in InDesign!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am glad you can reproduce the problem. I am finding that ADE, as compared to other EPUB readers is full of these quirks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines