• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mail merge

Contributor ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to create an InDesign (CS6) document that can handle merging data from an Apple Numbers database. I'd like to layout a postcard with address info on one side, and a greeting on reverse side over multiple pages (about 300 fronts & 300 backs)... can the text box on initial page be done so that it will automatically create new pages with the data so that all text blocks are linked? Would like to end up with a print-ready PDF with fronts & backs sequential for duplex printing.

???

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

David Blatner on lynda.com will show you everything you ever need and want to know about this procedure. i had to do 20,000 certificates, i was provided excell sheets. Exported to CSV files, clean them up with text wrangler, followed Davids instructions and it was a dream.

you can go a step further and use acrobat to separate the one data merge file into individually name files that match the name on the address.. very cool stuff. here:

InDesign: Data Merge and Database Publishing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Numbers, you need to export a csv file to be used as the source for the data merge.

In Indesign, to create a merged file that can print front and back, create a new document with facing pages. Place the static front art on one master page, and the variable content on the other master page. When merged, this will create a 600 page document or PDF, alternating front-back-front-back-etc.

Also, if either of the sides have bleed, you can adjust the layout with the Page Tool to move pages vertically. This will allow bleed, and not have art cross over from one facing page to the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... but both front & back have variable data. Front address side with variable data; back 'static' message but with a variable address line at top (Attention:..... variable data). Might there be a tutorial for this? I'm new with this merging stuff and not too quick of mind at 74.

NO bleed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David Blatner on lynda.com will show you everything you ever need and want to know about this procedure. i had to do 20,000 certificates, i was provided excell sheets. Exported to CSV files, clean them up with text wrangler, followed Davids instructions and it was a dream.

you can go a step further and use acrobat to separate the one data merge file into individually name files that match the name on the address.. very cool stuff. here:

InDesign: Data Merge and Database Publishing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cow! MUCHOS GRACIAS AMIGO!

Kindest regards,

Peter Stremic, Proprietor

PETERPICA Productions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both pages can have variable content, I assumed that the front was static in your situation. In fact, you can have more than 2 pages in the merge master document, and all have variables placeholders on those pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks much all... was easier than I thought it would be.

Regards all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines