• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing from iBooks Author via EPUB

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so. This is my situation. I have an eBook that I developed through iBooks Author which I eventually published through a certain couple outlets. I want to now publish on Amazon Kindle. Consequently, I've run into problems. For one, I cannot convert IBA files into KP8 and related formats because reasons. I since learned I can convert it into an epub file, which can then be put onto Kindle. However, iBooks Author doesn't allow you to implement inline images in their epub files because reasons. This is a problem, since a few of the chapters have this. I've been told I can implement inline images into an epub through InDesign. Of course, I'm not sure how to do that while retaining the work I did on iBooks Author.

At first I thought I could import the material as a PDF. That doesn't work however, since PDFs are treated as objects in InDesign and thus cannot be edited, because reasons. My next idea is to simply convert the file into an epub on iBooks Author, convert it into an acceptable set of files via ickmull, then redesign the layout on InDesign and export as a fixed-layout epub. I'm just not sure if it could work, though. Is that plausible? Is there a simpler solution to my situation?

(note that I cannot and will not publish on iBooks itself)

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably best to recreate your document InDesign and export it as a FXL ePub and, after validating it, use the Kindle Previewer to convert it into a format suitable for the Kindle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

notsomebodyelse  wrote

(note that I cannot and will not publish on iBooks itself)

Then why did you use iBooks Author to create the document? As for Kindle, I have read nothing that would make me confident of trying to put a fixed layout epub on Amazon's book store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because for the initial outlets, all I needed to do was produce a PDF, which iBooks Author can export to. iBooks Author already came with my laptop, so at the time I didn't pursue the matter further on the mere principle of low cost entry. It was only after the release that I even considered Amazon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you could save the PDF as a Word file from Acrobat Pro and place that in InDesign. You’ll have lots of work to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look at the matter as "you're glass is half full". Recreate the whole document for your preferred digital format. You'll learn a lot and it will extend your InDesign and publishing repertoire! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to think through the choices for the final output considering the type of content, the target user / the desired reading device(s) and so on, before making a choice of digital format. There's no one format that offers everything, each has advantages (features) and disadvantages.

Have a look at Circular Flow, this seems to have a good reputation for producing FXL ePubs from InDesign suitable for the Kindle, though as I mentioned, you'll probably have to start again formatting your InDesign for ePub: https://www.circularflo.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines