6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2017 9:58 AM by Conrad C

No green maximize button in Photoshop open window

photoguyscott

I recently upgraded to OS Sierra, now when I click “open” from Photoshop CS6, the dialog window is small and there aren’t any of the usual green, yellow or red buttons in the upper left. I have to grab the corner of the window and drag it to resize it, which is frustrating. I have a ton of files that I need to search through on a regular basis and having a full screen window in the dialog box certainly helps. Thanks

• 1. Re: No green maximize button in Photoshop open window
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is that the Open dialog box is a abbreviated OSX system box that Photoshop calls up. It's not part of Photoshop.

If you need something more robust, try Bridge CS6. There you can customize a full screen dialog and since it's the old style Flash panels, you can call it up inside Photoshop as Minibridge. You can also adjust thumbnail sizes and even resize the dialog to your workflow.

It's a better way to go since the OSX dialogs are limited.

• 2. Re: No green maximize button in Photoshop open window
            photoguyscott Level 1

Thanks, I figured that it was something like that, but I didn’t have that problem with Yosemite. Do you know is that something that Mac will address in the future or does it usually stay like that? I do use Bridge, but after so many years of opening images the same way in Photoshop, it is hard to change. Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: No green maximize button in Photoshop open window
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will have to ask Apple

• 4. Re: No green maximize button in Photoshop open window
                gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, I did try something and it seems to stick.  Move your cursor to the edge of the Open dialog until it becomes a double arrow.

Double-click on that arrow and the window will extend to the edge of the screen. Repeat for all sides until you have a full screen window. It stays that way after closing and opening Photoshop. I use CC 2017 with OSX 10.12.5 and it does work. I don't know about CS6.

• 5. Re: No green maximize button in Photoshop open window
                  Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

gener7  wrote

Move your cursor to the edge of the Open dialog until it becomes a double arrow. Double-click on that arrow and the window will extend to the edge of the screen. Repeat for all sides until you have a full screen window. It stays that way after closing and opening Photoshop. I use CC 2017 with OSX 10.12.5 and it does work. I don't know about CS6.

One way to speed that up: Hold down the Option key and drag any corner of the Open dialog box. Holding down Option should scale the entire dialog box out from the center.

photoguyscott  wrote

I have a ton of files that I need to search through on a regular basis and having a full screen window in the dialog box certainly helps. Thanks

For searching and opening many files quickly, I think the Open dialog box is too slow; it might be faster to bypass it entirely. Instead, do your searching in whatever program you do it most quickly, whether that's the Mac Finder, or a photo organizer like Adobe Bridge or Lightroom. Then just drag and drop the image (or as many selected images as you want) into Photoshop or onto its application icon.

1 person found this helpful