What OS is being used on the new computer and what was is on the older computer? Are they the same type, OS X/Windows?
Could be the folder you are placing the trans string file in doesn't have the proper permissions for LR to access.
Just a thought.
Old computer was originally Windows 7, but was upgraded to Windows 10.
The new computer is a fresh install of Window 10.
I've been using Lr since Lr 4, upgraded to Lr 5, and moved over to the CC version of Lr soon after it was released and always keep it updated.
Though, on the old machine there I see there are folders and files from all iterations of Lr from when I first started using to the latest version.
The new machine obviously has only the latest CC version of Lr on it.
Regarding permissions, I don't know. What permissions does Lr need for that folder and it's files?
On the new machine I had to create the "en" folder manually in the Resources folder - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\
But I never thought to check permissions.
Then check them. Right click on the folder > Properties > Security tab. Add your username to the list and give it Full Control.
Yes, I'll check when I get back in front of the machine, and try what you have suggested.
Though, if I can access and read those files via Windows Explorer using my standard user account, surely Lr can access them too since I'm running that under the same user account?
So your are running a Standard User Account and not an Admin account? If you only have one account on your system then it is an Admin account. But still doesn't have full access to all parts of the hard drive, unless you assign them to your user name.
My new computer, like my old one, has two user accounts, an admin account and standard user account.
The latter is the account that I use. Admin is purely for admin. related things.
With my standard user account I can access and read the translated strings files, but not write to them, that has to been done with the admin account.
And that is how is was on my old computer too, and that worked fine. I never had to give those files full user control for it to work.
But, like I said in my previous post, I will try what you suggested when I'm back in front of my computer again.
Have they changed it again so the english version of translated strings is not read at all?
Do Help > System Info to double-check that you really are on the latest version of LR, CC 2015.10.1 / 6.10.1. The Creative Cloud app often fails to update LR correctly, fooling people into thinking they are on "the latest" version.
Johnrellis, I'm running Lightroom version: CC 2015.10.1 [ 1117303 ]
Just Shoot Me, I've tried giving myself full control as you suggested but to no avail.
I just verified that my CC 2015.10.1 / Windows 10 reads C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\en\TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt, containing this line:
This indicates the issue is specific to your configuration.
What is the full path of where you installed TranslatedStrings?
Also, post the full contents of the file here, and I can try it on my config. I don't know how it might work on one computer but not another, but you never know, and it would be good to eliminate possibilities.
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\en\
Contents isn't a problem as I have a copy of the same file working on my other computer in the exact some location as above.
Lr on the other computer still reads the translated strings no problem, but it has had Lr upgraded on it over the years and I wonder if some how that's why is still works.
Where as my new computer is starting with a fresh install of version CC 2015.10.1
It seems as if the English version of Lr has been made to ignore translated strings straight out of the box.
OK, I have Lr reading translated strings again, but I don't understand why.
When I was typing my last post it made me think of something .....
I know that when Lr is set to use another language other than English it uses Translated Strings for that respective language to configure Lr.
So as a test I went in to Lr preferences and changed the language to Swedish, restarted Lr and it was in Swedish.
So that proved Lr was in fact still capable of reading Translated Strings files.
I even tried put in a line from my English Translated Strings file and it worked.
I then changed Lr back to English and when I restarted it again it was for some reason reading TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt as my settings were applied and everything was as it was supposed to be.
What the .....????
Something unexplained going on, clearly. I switch between languages several times a year helping others define shortcuts and helping to identify LR bugs, and I haven't observed this behavior before (but of course, I'm switching languages relatively frequently).
Glad you got it working.
Well, thanks for you time johnrellis and Just Shoot Me.
I'm going to set this post as the solution to my original post.
I don't know if my problem was some weird one of a kind problem or if there are others struggling with this, but at least give my solution a shot.
After a lot of googling and following Just Shoot Me's suggestions here in this thread regarding full user control I could not get Lightroom to read C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\en\TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt
That is until I had the idea of changing the language that Lightroom to see if Lightroom was at all reading translated strings files.
What I did:
In the preferences I changed the language to Swedish (but I presume any language other English would work)
Restarted Lightroom (so the changes would take effect)
Changed the language back to English in the preferences
And that's it! Lightroom was running in English and reading TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt as it should. :-)