• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

looking for Dreamweaver web developer

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I maintain a website that was designed in Dreamweaver in 2001.  Its in dire need of updating.  I've been told by more than one person that I should abandon Dreamweaver and integrate my site into WordPress.  Before I make that leap, I wanted to do a quick search for anyone that might be interested in doing some updates for me in the current Dreamweaver format.  I need an eCommerce page and some interactive forms.  The coding required is above my pay-grade.

[Moderator moved from inactive Web Design to Dreamweaver Forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

As PZ said,  this has to be re-built to modern web standards and the content updated (notice the copyright date).   The code errors on your domain name home page speak for themselves.

[Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.ctlr.org/ - W3C Markup Validator

You say you have a database but you don't mention the software you're using so I must assume it's desktop software like Excel or Access which is not compatible with a web site.

My impression of this is that you've been "getting by" for so ma

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say eCommerce what exactly do you mean?

Do you have a Merchant Bank account yet?  Have you signed-up with a payment processor that's compatible with your bank --  i.e. PayPal or Authorize.net, etc...?  Or are you using a 3rd party shopping cart to process online orders?

What kind of interactive forms do you need?

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks to all three of you.  When I say eCommerce, we have five simple items for which we accept payment:  1-year membership, life membership, cattle registration, cattle transfer of ownership, DNA hair submission cards.  For the last 16 years, members have printed the forms, filled them in by hand and US mailed them to us with a check.  Its way past time for members to be able to complete those forms online and click a button that sends the form to my email and redirects them to PayPal where they pay the fee.  The shopping cart needs to allow for multiple items (more than one registration at a time, or more than one option as to also pay a membership at the same time.  Simple, but beyond my coding experience.  I'm resistant in having to learn a new software, so prefer to continue working with Dreamweaver if it is capable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the URL to your online site?

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As PZ said,  this has to be re-built to modern web standards and the content updated (notice the copyright date).   The code errors on your domain name home page speak for themselves.

[Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.ctlr.org/ - W3C Markup Validator

You say you have a database but you don't mention the software you're using so I must assume it's desktop software like Excel or Access which is not compatible with a web site.

My impression of this is that you've been "getting by" for so many years with outdated methods that you pretend it's working well & think you can keep doing business as usual.   I don't think that's realistic however. 

These days, an online presence means putting your best foot forward & giving people what they want.

a) A quality presentation that looks great & compels people to use your services over the other guys.

b) A functional site that provides a good user experience without clunky workarounds.

c) A site that performs well on all web devices -- mobile, tablet & desktops.

To that extent, your site falls way short of expectations. 

This is a do over.  No question about it.   If WordPress was recommended to you by an experienced developer,  you might want to take them up on it.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  You realize that's not what I wanted to hear.  I will take your advice into consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add a few thoughts.

Whilst wordpress may appear to be a good, cheap and easy solution, or a custom built site using dreamweaver or a coding ide expensive, both can have there drawbacks if they are not done correctly. A lot will depend on what you wish the site to do, and just as importantly how you wish the back-end, (the part of the site proected from public view) to look and work.

Many wordpress developers do not customize the back-end beyond the adding of plug-ins, if that is all they do walk away. Also do not use any Dreamweaver developers who use Dreamweaver server-behavious, if they say they do walk-away, (ask them).

The back-end is the part you will have to work with, and for you is probably more important in the long term than any other part of the site, as that is what you will be working with every day. A professional developer will work with you, to ensure not just the front-end, (what your users see) matches your requirerments, but also that the back-end works and shows you the information required, how you require. So remember the back-end is not just an add-on for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so prefer to continue working with Dreamweaver if it is capable.

As has been explained, DW is a tool, not a format. You can continue to use DW.

I can create what you have described. It would involve integrating a database into your website. You will need an interface to manage memberships, etc. as well as the online process for membership purchases.

When someone purchases an annual membership, you want the system to check to see if they already have a membership and add 12 months to it. There is more to such a system than you may at first suspect.

You can contact me by clicking my name. I would a $100 prepayment for a phone consultation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  That is a lot more complicated than I need.  I already have a database software i use for memberships, etc.  All I need is a shopping cart with the various items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use one system. If your ecommerce system doesn't use the same database as your brick-and-morter system, then you are not operating in the 21st century and you will have lots of problems as the two systems won't be in sync. It also creates extra work for you or your staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is a tool, not a format.

Basically you are saying something like: My house was built with a Makita saw. I need someone with a Makita saw to build an addition.

As Nancy said, When you say eCommerce what exactly do you mean?

Are you selling products or services? $100/ day or $100,000/ day?

More info needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to what has already been said/asked.

There is no such thing as a Dreamweaver web developer, and the fact that you are asking, and given the date you say the site was originally built, i would surmise that the site was built using html tables for the layout, or as a very simple layout using in-line styling rules. Even the use of AP divs may be a possibility.

All of those methods were abandoned over 14 years ago, and long before the days of mobile devices. That would quite possibly mean that not just a few pages need to be added, but that the entire site requires a complete re-write, (code wise).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The moment you have a tech requirement that is quite complex to handle independently, hire WordPress developer. You can hire a web development company and get in touch with experienced developers who will use his/her expertise and excellence to deliver guaranteed and secure business solutions. A versatile team of expert developers follows the right approach to develop technically sound products.

If you are keen to outsource your projects, then visit CSSChopper. They are known for their remarkable service which is not restricted by demographic boundaries. Having a huge clientele across the globe, they have become one of the leading technology partners in delivering diverse solutions with varying necessities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines