2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 7:01 AM by Loic.Aigon

DBase

anjal46589679

Hi,

I looking for some help.
      We are using Word docs to make information folders.
      Now we want the information of these word files in a Dbase so that we can use the existing information in a DBase.
      I worked this out in an access DBase, but is this the best practise and is it possible to use this Access DBase in Indesign where we can create a template.

What is the best way to do this (the word files are +- 100 docs with the same structure and this in 4 languages)

Thanks

• 1. Re: DBase
          AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

It is possible -- database publishing is a huge field -- with a number of solutions. From what you're describing, you'd need to use a 3rd party solution, the DataMerge feature built into InDesign probably won't work.

I'd look at InData from EmSoftware.com. They have a free trial. With it you can build a template, then place a comma- or tab-delimited text file (exported from your database), and the text flows in formatted. When you update the template, you re-export to a text file and the layout can be updated.

Otherwise I'm guessing this could be a good candidate for XML publishing, but I'm not sure how you'd start.

AM

• 2. Re: DBase
            Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

It really depends how your documents are built. Using XML may be a great act of bravery if you have complex layouts with a lot conditions. If it's simple items then why not.

Once that said, EasyCatalog allows DB linking and it works smoothly. Totally worth the investment.

1 person found this helpful