4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 7:07 AM by john beardsworth

Completing the LR Mobile Workflow

MacBerry Level 1

Hi.

I've watched the workflow here, and it's exactly what I want to do, but there seams to me to be a step missing.

In the video, Elia takes his raw shots, imports them to his iPad camera roll, then into LR mobile, where he does some editing etc.

Next, he continues with his editing using the synced versions on his desktop. Great so far.

But then he exports the photos into Photoshop as psd's, and does some more editing, to end up with a finished product.

So my question is, at what stage does he get the actual raw files into LR desktop, ready to export to PS at full resolution with edits? I presume that because the raws were imported into LR mobile then synced, not the other way around, he's actually only working on the smart previews in LR desktop, which are great but not good enough as the basis for the final product? The missing step appears to be importing the raws into LR desktop and syncing them with the smart preview edits I've made.

I realise that if I import to desktop then sync to mobile, the problem is solved, but that defeats the object of LR mobile as far as I can see. If I could get the raws straight from camera to desktop while in the field, there'd be no need for mobile.

Cheers,

Mark

• 1. Re: Completing the LR Mobile Workflow
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"So my question is, at what stage does he get the actual raw files into LR desktop, ready to export to PS at full resolution with edits?"

I've not watched the video, but when you import raws directly into Mobile, the actual raw files appear in  LR Desktop when you next open your synced catalogue. It happens automatically by LR syncing the raw files down from Adobe.

So this assumption is wrong "he's actually only working on the smart previews in LR desktop".

Makes sense? Try it for yourself - it'll be obvious.

John

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Completing the LR Mobile Workflow
            MacBerry Level 1

OK thanks, if that's what's meant to be happening, then I'm guessing there's something I'm not doing right, because I'm only getting jpeg files (plus a file that presumably contains the edits I've made), on my desktop.

I'm going to go back and check every step of my setup, to see if I can work out where the raw file is becoming a jpeg, which I'd assumed was a smart preview.

• 3. Re: Completing the LR Mobile Workflow
              MacBerry Level 1

Woo hoo, found it, thanks to John's pointer.

The issue was that I'm using Olympus OI.Share to transfer the files from camera to iPad, and it turns out that even though I only shoot in raw, the app actually creates and transfer's a jpeg version only - it can't transfer raw files.

So the solution is easy; I either use a camera connection kit to get the files off the sd card onto my iPad, or use something like Cascable Pro to transfer them wirelessly. Which I use will depend on whether the other features of Cascable are any use to me.

Cheers,

Mark

• 4. Re: Completing the LR Mobile Workflow
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I (occasionally) use Apple's SD card to Lightning adapter. The magic is that if I import the card into LR Desktop, the duplicates routine detects any files that were imported into Mobile.

Have fun!

John