• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LIGHTROOM CATALOG NOT WORKING, NO DATA SHOWED

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have problems with my main Lightroom CC catalog (.lrcat). I have the latest version of Lightroom (2015.10.1) and my operating system is the latest Mac Oc Sierra.

Relaunching the main catalog from Menu-Open Recent Catalog, after using a secondary one, Lightroom opens with the window completely free of informations, photos ectc. Like it was the first use of the program. No pop-up warnings. Nothing, I was shocked.

Then I’ve tried to open the latest back up file .lrcat of the calatog (safe on another hard-disk) with the same result.

I noticed the dimension of catalog .lrcat not working (only 1,5 MB) and of the previews file (only 152 kb). I’ve read that Lightroom now uses compressed file catalog on Mac. But I have a library of more than 20.000 pictures with a lot of regulation data. My Lightroom 5 catalog was over 5 GIGA. Is it possible such compression?

What’s happened to my main catalog? The secondary one works well.

Why I can’t use my back up catalog file if the main one was i.e. corrupt?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Use your operating system's search feature and find all files on all disks whose name ends with .LRCAT. For each one found, double-click on it to open it in Lightroom and see if it has the photos you are interested in.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog that is "not working" (1.5 MB) would seem to be a new empty catalog. If your backup catalog was created by Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC it would be contained within a zip file that would have to be opened and the catalog would have to be extracted from the zip file in order to be used. That would have to be done at the operating system level. Did you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The back up file was created one month ago with Lightroom CC. It has the same dimension of the original one. I've read on Adobe Faq that it needs an expander program to use the back up catalog file. I used StuffItExpander but it was unable to open the file because it doesn't recognize it. I don't know if the Adobe statement  is corrected with the latest updates of the program. I think that Lightroom and Mac operating system do the expander work. Also I think that it seems a new empty catalog. But what's happened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm one of the is uninformed computer idiots who have never used a Mac. That's right, never. But in the Windows world all that is necessary to open a zip file is to double-click on it. The zip file will open and it's possible to drag/drop the contained file(s) from the zip file to wherever you need it to be. Sorry, but I don't know what else to tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use your operating system's search feature and find all files on all disks whose name ends with .LRCAT. For each one found, double-click on it to open it in Lightroom and see if it has the photos you are interested in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you dj_paige, now I've found the right catalog. I've done previously that research but I was confused by the name file.... The number 2 in the name reminded me to Lightroom 2... but it was catalog 2, the right one. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines