4 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2006 5:40 PM by Newsgroup_User

Newbie:  Basic Question

bforster
      I am currently working with a demo copy of Captivate. What I want to do is convert a powerpoint presentation to Captivate and be able to manipulate the text transition. Also, my powerpoint has visual basic code to allow for user input and calculations. Is there anyway to have this transfer to captivate? Finally, is it possible to create charts (graphs) in Captivate? Am I using the right software?

Please help
        • 1. Re: Newbie:  Basic Question
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi bforster and welcome to the community

Quite a laundry list!

I'm not sure what you mean by "manipulate the text transition", but I suspect you might be talking about fading in text, zooming in bullet points and the like. If I'm correct in my suspicions, these items don't survive the trip into Captivate land. However, you can manually fade text in and out and whatnot after you import. Maybe this will help?

As for VB code for user input and calculations, sorry, Captivate doesn't do this. You might be able to convert this code to JavaScript or VBScript and summon an external web page that would do this. But Captivate won't handle it natively.

As for creating charts and graphs, Captivate can't do this either. At least, not dynamically. You could certainly create a chart or graph separately and add it to a Captivate slide as an image, but I'm guessing this isn't what you are looking for. I suspect you want something more "dynamic" that might create a chart or graph based on what was input via the VB code. How far off the mark am I with that?

As much as I hate saying this, Captivate may not be your best choice of tools, given those particular desires. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'd know exactly which tool you might lean toward. Possibly Flash? Maybe one of the Flash regulars here can comment on this.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Newbie:  Basic Question
            bforster Level 1
            Wow Rick. Thanks for taking the time to respond and I think you saved me lots of time.

Yours truly,
            Bforster
            • 3. Re: Newbie:  Basic Question
              bforster Level 1
              Wow Rick. Thanks for taking the time to respond and I think you saved me lots of time.

Yours truly,
              Bforster
              • 4. Re: Newbie:  Basic Question
                Level 7

Yours truly,
                Bforster