4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2017 10:08 PM by debrak83466088

Change Verbiage/Text of Headers & Footers

debrak83466088

I purchased an In Design magazine template and am customizing to fit my photography business.

At the top of my non-photo pages there is a 'header' that says 'Section One' and at the bottom of my non-photo pages there is a 'footer' that says 'Juniper Volume 1'.

Juniper is the name of the magazine template I purchased from Creative Market & I love it!

But I want my photography business name as the 'header' and I want 'Volume 1 July 2017' as the 'footer'

I've searched the forum & the In Design User Guide and attempted so many things:

*    Type, Text Variables, Define

*     Attempted to delete the 'Header Understroke' and/or the 'Number Box' in the layers panel

*     Attempted to just drag the dang text tool across the text in an attempt to overwrite

And now I've forgotten how to do take a screen shot and so I just took a photo with my phone; but it does let you see what I'm looking at.

Thanks for any help. It's a comfort to know where I can run when I cannot figure out some aspect of In Design.

20170621_002648.jpg

• 1. Re: Change Verbiage/Text of Headers & Footers
          fenjas29325284 Level 5

Text frames with dotted borders are on a master page.

For example Section one is on master page "B"

In the page panel you can see the corresponding master page in the corner of the miniature pages.

The master pages are in the upper part of the page panel.

masterpages.png

Activate the master page and change the text. It will appear on all pages associated with master page B.

--------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot: On a Windows PC use the Print key. It's usually next to the F12 key (the left one of a group of three).

The picture will be in the clipboard and you can paste it here directly or (better) you trim it first in an app of your choice.

Mac: I don't know.

Fenja

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Change Verbiage/Text of Headers & Footers
            debrak83466088 Level 1

Thank you so much Fenja. Your knowledege of ID and willingness to help is so appreciated!

I've been able to change the text now (Section 1), but the design element (?)  (see the _______ & _______)?

The lines that bookend 'Section One' ?

I want to keep those, but need to shorten them to allow the verbiage I'm replacing 'Section 1' with to fit.

The __________ & ________ need to be shorter.

I thought those would sit on the same layer as 'Section 1' on the Master Page, but I've so far not been able to alter them.

Again; I appreciate your time and knowledge so much! ID is one of the harder programs I've taken on to learn.

Thanks again,

Debra

• 3. Re: Change Verbiage/Text of Headers & Footers
              fenjas29325284 Level 5

Your pages 2-3 have 6 layers.

layers1.png

Open the layer groups and look for an entry "Line" (or similar, for I haven't an english version of ID).

Once you've discovered the line, you can activate it by clicking on the tiny square.

layers.png

Fenja

• 4. Re: Change Verbiage/Text of Headers & Footers
                debrak83466088 Level 1

Yay! Success! Thank you again for all the assistance Fenja!