Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with forum

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran

Since the weekend i have had problems with the forum loading very slowly, (sometimes not at all) showing different fonts, (sometimes browser default) and really strange layouts being show, often having so many errors that the browser tries to automatically reload.

After some network error checking, and developer console checks, i have traced the main problem to the typekit script. Unfortunatly to fix the typekit problem i would have to block all typekit scripts, (other sites using typekit ocassionally having similar problem), before de-bugging further.

Anyone else seeing these problems?

Note: I did not post this in the 'back room' due to the problems of page load, as it ocassionally freezes the browser.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Preran

Just though i would let you know that the problem with typescript fonts not loading, appears to have been fixed some time late this afternoon, (u/k time).

No more 10 minutes to log in and view a post

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paula,

I am not seeing these issues at my end and I haven't heard anything similar from my colleagues or other users. Can you try using a different browser and see if you are still running into issues? Or clearing your browser's cache?

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

I have used Firefox, Chrome, and Edge on PC, and on iOS Safari and Chrome, all with the same problem. Going to the Edge or Photoshop forums, i am seeing no problems.

Out of interest i just tried on an old Android device, with the same problem in displaying the Dreamweaver forum pages.

I will check further, if no one else is seeing any problems. From past experiance i do know that some networks slow or block cdn scripts if they have problems, (for whatever reason) with the publisher on a regional basis, so it could just be in my area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can test the "network blocking" theory with your smartphone easily enough. Turn off wifi and force it to use your carrier network vs your broadband provider.

I had an issue once with our company network that forced me to have an employee stand outside the window next to my desk with my cell phone (the building I'm in acts like a giant Faraday cage) so I could connect my desktop machine to the personal hotspot. It was hilarious, but it worked for the download I needed because the AT&T network wasn't running the same overzealous filter as my IT guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say I am seeing these issues. Apart from the ice-cream van doesn't seem to be parked up any longer, all it ok here, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon and Os,

I took a quick drive to my local shopping center, to try their wi-fi, and found a few other people having problems, so it may just be my local area.

As one of the few people who has ever seen the message, 'access to google srvices is blocked, due to none payment', i know such problems can be local. That is why i am always cautious about recommending someone to use cdn services, and not self hosted scripts.

I will check in again in a few hours time, to see if anything improves, as over the last few days it goes from very slow, (or not at all) to slow but acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible that one of the Jive nodes is acting up, and I will let you know if I hear other users complain about this issue. If that happens, I will escalate to the Forums team for their action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran

I've isolated 2 major problems -

1. https://use.typekit.com/fxk4olf.js is coming up as an insecure connection, so the script is not loading/working when called. This could be caused by my connection speed, and the server not responding with the correct code fast enough, (50Mb upload speed for request). So 2 solutions, update the server, or I will have to throttle my upload request response time-out speed, until they fix the problem, (see end of post) .
  2. Because of the typekit fonts not loading, the page rendering process is taking longer than it should, as it is looking for alternative fonts, (no font list in css) and this is causing page layout 'painting' problems.

Current average page load time 1.45 minutes, (yes, minutes not seconds). Also this may be a temporary problem as I should NOT have 50Mb upload speed, (the download is only 15Mb) 1-2Mb upload maybe, but certainly not 50MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Paula. Those are interesting insights. Keep me updated on how things go.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran

100% certain now that the none loading of the typekit script is causing the problems.

The main problem appears to be that every time the typekit font is called in the css file, the script file in the html header is trying to load the font and causing render blocking, whilst the script throws exceptions that have to be caught, but because the try/catch is missing, (script itself not loaded) this is causing the browser to time out the script before proceeding with browser rendering, which is happening every time the font is referenced in the css.

To check this, i did the simple solution and disabled javascript, after which the pages load instantly, which is not a solution as many functions rely on js being enabled. I don't know if it is possible, but it would stop such problems, if the typekit script included in the html header, included an exception handler, and checked for the script being loaded.

The upload speed problems i am experiancing, may be causing the script not to load due to the typekit servers not responding fast enough, (only a theory, that myself and a server admin discussed) but throttling back the upload now would cause problems for me later, when the problem is fixed at the local telecom server, (currently undergoing updating).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your observations, Paula. I have forwarded this post to the Forums team and have asked them to check with Jive about it. I will get back as soon as I hear from them.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran

I looked deeper into the problem and found a js code fix that includes the try/catch code i suggested, from the Adobe typekit blog, (i know always read the Adobe help pages first ) you may wish to pass the updated code to the jive engineers, -

https://helpx.adobe.com/typekit/using/embed-codes.html#Advancedembedcode

The advanced code that i link too is the new recommendation, (updated last month), but there is also a simpler fix shown above the example that also uses the try/catch in the header script i suggested, and forces async loading, so there is no render blocking, it may cause flash of unstyled text though, but that is a lot better than a 1.5 minute load time.

It unfortunatly appears this is becomming a common problem, and Chrome v50 has introduced a setting that blocks downloadable fonts from render blocking, probably by forcing the async atribute on such js files.

If anyone requires more info, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paula,

We have shared this forum post with the Jive team for their observations. Again, thank you time for taking time to investigate and share your observations. We appreciate it very much.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who pulled the plug yesterday for about 6 hours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Osgood,

There wasn't any maintenance activity yesterday from what I know. Let me check with the team. The quickest way to get an answer is to post on the Back rooms because the forums team monitors that one regularly (from what I know).

If you have a screenshot, can you post it here? I regret the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran  wrote

Hi Osgood,

There wasn't any maintenance activity yesterday from what I know. Let me check with the team. The quickest way to get an answer is to post on the Back rooms because the forums team monitors that one regularly (from what I know).

If you have a screenshot, can you post it here? I regret the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Preran

There was a message up for about 6 hours - 'A serious system error has occured' - 26/6/2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had another user complain about it on Twitter today. I am checking with the forums team to see if they have heard about it as well. Thanks for the info, Osgood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

There was a message up for about 6 hours - 'A serious system error has occured' - 26/6/2017

Just a thought, but could it have had anything to do with the ransom ware attack yesterday, that started in the Ukraine?

I did see the message a couple of times, but it vanished after about 30 minutes each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

osgood_   wrote

Just a thought, but could it have had anything to do with the ransom ware attack yesterday, that started in the Ukraine?

I did see the message a couple of times, but it vanished after about 30 minutes each time.

It wasn't yesterday, it was 26th. Maybe cyba attack related, I don't know. I just got a blank white screen with a few words to the effect 'A serious system error has occurred'. This started at about 6pm UK time and was not resolved until the next day. So at least 6 hrs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

It wasn't yesterday, it was 26th. Maybe cyba attack related, I don't know. I just got a blank white screen with a few words to the effect 'A serious system error has occurred'. This started at about 6pm UK time and was not resolved until the next day. So at least 6 hrs.

I didn't see the message until about mid afternoon yesterday, so maybe the same problem maybe not.

Unusual though if not related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This is known as is being investigated: System error

Thanks,

Madison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Madison for the quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran

Just though i would let you know that the problem with typescript fonts not loading, appears to have been fixed some time late this afternoon, (u/k time).

No more 10 minutes to log in and view a post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome! Thank you for letting me know, Paula. I am glad that you are all set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines