4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 3:34 PM by winterm

PC Page Break Shortcut when no keypad

Rodlks

I just bought an HP Spectre x360, and it does not have a keypad. How can I make a keyboard shortcut to insert a page break?

• 1. Re: PC Page Break Shortcut when no keypad
          winterm Level 4

Normally, Numpad Enter breaks to next column (or next frame if there’s no next column in that frame, or next page if there’s no next frame on that same page)

Shift+Enter breaks to next frame

Ctrl+Enter breaks to next page

If you’re on a notebook with the main keyboard only (no numpad), try to include Fn key in a combination, using 'main' Enter key.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PC Page Break Shortcut when no keypad
            Rodlks Level 1

InDesign does not have any keyboard shortcut for the Page Break on a pc other than Control>numberpad enter. No combination with the normal enter key works. I have tried every combination using the shift, control, Function, and Alt keys with the keyboard enter. So I need to assign a shortcut.

How do I assign the shortcut to Contol B?

• 3. Re: PC Page Break Shortcut when no keypad
              Rodlks Level 1

I figured it out. I went to Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts. Chose Type Menu. Clicked on Insert Break: Page Break. Then at the bottom entered Control B as the new shortcut. Left the context as default. Said "Yes" to new shortcut set, and now Control B give me a page break.

• 4. Re: PC Page Break Shortcut when no keypad
                winterm Level 4

... and so you killed the default target of that shortcut to Text Frame Options dialog box. Well, it's up to you...

Fn + Enter works for the most people. Couldn't test it with your exact model, though.

You can find out more about 'two Enter keys' here or here.