3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2006 10:33 AM by Newsgroup_User

Effects on text

Level 7
      hello everybody, i know that i begin with flash but i know all the
      tutorials of flash, layers symbols and all stuff but i can't do effets
      on text like typing while the text appears, i just know transitions
      effetc, fade in and out. someone can help me.

• 1. Re: Effects on text
          2m Level 2
          Hi,

actually there is no such thing as predifined text effects.
          You can do this by using actionscript, or using third party tools. (so much around, that I don't even know where to start)

It depends very much on what exactly you want to do with your effects.

If you want to make a very imressive opener for an animation you could make static text, break it appart and the animate it with tweens or use a third-party effects tool.

In case you need to present text from external sources (txt, xml, or databases) I'd recommend using actionscript, if just showing it isn't enough. (For type-writer effects you can break the string you want to present into an array of letters and show the text by adding one or more letters to your textfield on enter frame until you're done....)
          • 2. Re: Effects on text
            Level 7
            ok,thanks, i'll try this. I know that will be impossible doing this
            kind of effect without using actionscript, but i don't want learn
            actionscript just for some effect. But if this is only solution then...
            :-?

• 3. Re: Effects on text
              Level 7
              > actually there is no such thing as predifined text effects.

Not by default in Flash, but exentsions / components available, see
              http://www.patrickjansen.net/components/

> You can do this by using actionscript, or using third party tools. (so
              > much
              > around, that I don't even know where to start)

Most of third party tools are external .. by LoadMovie you load created
              .swf's into your flash movies (exception Flax by Goldshell and textosteron),
              and except with components ( see PJ and Supreme4 components link above)
              which are drag&drop to .fla stage/canvas and then directly changable in
              flash authoring environment. Since you install them directly in MM Flash
              more or less as a plugin.

> In case you need to present text from external sources (txt, xml, or
              > databases)

extensions can do that too.
              grtz
              P.