• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to force a user to view an imported video before moving to the next slide?

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have text slides, T/F question slides, and slides with videos. I have tried embedding a video from Vimeo, and have tried using progressive streaming videos.

On the slides with videos, I need the user to be forced to watch the video from start to finish without being able to fast forward. The video should autoplay when slide is entered. The user can pause the video, rewind the video, adjust the volume, but can not fast forward through the video. When the video has been completed, a NEXT SLIDE button should appear. I can't seem to figure it out. I'm new to Captivate and trying to learn how variables work. How can this be done? Thx!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried extending the timeline the play length of the video, and then at the end of timeline have the next button appear?  For example for a 3 minute video have the timeline extended to 3 minutes 5 seconds.  At 3 minutes 2 seconds have the next button appear.  Make adjustments to the timeline as necessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you embed the video in a certain way, you can absolutely do this!

Jump into the slide you want the video in. Click "Media" in the top ribbon, then click "Video" (sounds like you have already done this). In the dialog box you have two radio buttons at the top: "Event Video" and "Multi-Slide Synchronized Video." The second option will sync the video to the captivate timeline, meaning you can force completion of the video and time your video to other content (i.e. next buttons). On the bottom of the screen make sure "Modify slide duration to accommodate video" is selected, otherwise you may accidentally distribute your video across your entire project.

Once the video is embedded, go to the end of the video on the timeline. Line up the pause on your next button with the end of the video. If you don't want the screen to jolt back to whatever is your background, I'd suggest adding another second or two of whatever the last frame of the video is in the video before embedding, just so you have room to put a pause without being too abrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Issac,

Tom is correct, although this will only work with an imported video, it won't work for Vimeo videos because the timeline can't determine when they are complete. Another option would be to house the videos on a separate page and have it jump at the end to the video to the new page.

Cheers,
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve,

So you're only wanting to use Vimeo? If that's the case, anything you want the video to do will have to come from the embed code you put in there, not sure if Vimeo supports auto-playing. Captivate can't make embedded content do anything at all, only display it.

-Isaac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this blog post can help, especially if you allow the user to revisit the slide, but don't want to make him to sit through the video (has to be multisynchronized, which means you'll need some custom buttons for play/pause, rewind etc):

Force first view - Captivate 8 - Captivate blog

Pause of the Next button is not so important, it is the start of its timeline that needs to be at the end of the video. If you display the Next button from the start of the slide, user can click at any time on that button (active part of the button) and skip the video. You'll have to avoid the playbar as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Isac.cs

I don't actually want to do anything : )  Its the OP that is looking for advice. BTW: Vimeo does support auto play, I use it all the time.

Cheers,
Steve 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources