10 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2006 12:02 PM by Newsgroup_User

So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????

jweisb
      Actually, this is not the first time I've posted this question with no reply, THANKS! I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I've created a standalone Flash 7 project ( myMovie.exe ) to be played on a CD. This CD has an autorun.inf in the root directory. When I pop the CD into the computer it starts up the Flash Player but with no content. If I create a myMovie.exe in Director, everything works as it should, contents and all. But the Flash version shows a blank screen, just an empty Flash Player. To see the movie I have to navigate to the CD and click on myMovie.exe then it plays fine. I never had this problem with Flash 6. I have the same problem with Flash 8 Demo. The folks at Macromedia tell me it's not a Flash issue. So, does anyone else have this problem???

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????
          Level 7
          hi jweisb,
          first - creating a whole new thread on the same exact subject within a couple of hours only
          complicates issues as now we dont know which if the 2 threads you are going to be checking - also, 2
          or more people could be replying with same information resulting in a waste of volunteer time when
          they could be helping someone else. Duplicate threads are frowned upon for this very reason and for
          adding an unnecessary thread to an already busy forum - not too mention that anyone searching in the
          future for this answer may come across one of your threads that went un answered.
          having said that - next time just reply to your original thread instead of creating a new one. also,
          many here will get annoyed by imaptience and choose to avoid your post. not everyone but it happens.

ok - so, to get to your problem - how have you setup your movie? we know it is a projector file -
          but are you using loadMovie with it as well? do you have assets external of the EXE? can you upload
          the FLA? Are you publishing straight from Flash as a projector file? or are you using any 3rd party
          projector tools?

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

jweisb wrote:
          > Actually, this is not the first time I've posted this question with no reply,
          > THANKS! I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I've created a
          > standalone Flash 7 project ( myMovie.exe ) to be played on a CD. This CD has an
          > autorun.inf in the root directory. When I pop the CD into the computer it
          > starts up the Flash Player but with no content. If I create a myMovie.exe in
          > Director, everything works as it should, contents and all. But the Flash
          > version shows a blank screen, just an empty Flash Player. To see the movie I
          > have to navigate to the CD and click on myMovie.exe then it plays fine. I never
          > had this problem with Flash 6. I have the same problem with Flash 8 Demo. The
          > folks at Macromedia tell me it's not a Flash issue. So, does anyone else have
          > this problem???
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          • 2. Re: So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????
            jweisb Level 1
            Thanks, I deserved that one. My frustration with this problem is building up.

Just to test my issue to see if it's actually how I've build the movie, I've created a one frame movie and placed some text on the stage. Nothing else, no load movie, no external assets or anything. Then I publish it through Flash to create START.exe.

I burn it to a CD along with the autorun.inf. When I run the cd, all I get is the Flash Player with a menu bar and a blank screen. It's as if the movie never makes it to the first frame.
            • 3. Re: So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????
              Level 7
              hmmmm - that does sound weird. what happenes when you double clisk it? it runs fine right?

jweisb wrote:
              > Thanks, I deserved that one. My frustration with this problem is building up.
              >
              > Just to test my issue to see if it's actually how I've build the movie, I've
              > created a one frame movie and placed some text on the stage. Nothing else, no
              > load movie, no external assets or anything. Then I publish it through Flash to
              > create START.exe.
              >
              > I burn it to a CD along with the autorun.inf. When I run the cd, all I get is
              > the Flash Player with a menu bar and a blank screen. It's as if the movie
              > never makes it to the first frame.
              >
              • 4. Re: So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????
                jweisb Level 1
                Yep, sure does, it plays great when I click on it.

I thought I found a work around by creating an .exe file in Director which autostarts fine then it would call my Flash .exe file I get the same result. It's as if the Flash .exe doesn't like being called by anything external. I could embed the Flash in Director but why should I have to go through that trouble.

I'm stumped. I never had this problem with Flash 6 and it seems like it's still happening with the Flash 8 demo.

• 5. Re: So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????
                  Level 7
                  try this - make it a 10 frame movie and dont put anything in the timeline until frame 5. make it a
                  shape - not text (to rule out any font rendering issues).
                  can you email the me the FLA?

info [at] mudbubble [dot] com

--> www.mudbubble.com
                  --> www.keyframer.com

jweisb wrote:
                  > Yep, sure does, it plays great when I click on it.
                  >
                  > I thought I found a work around by creating an .exe file in Director which
                  > autostarts fine then it would call my Flash .exe file I get the same result.
                  > It's as if the Flash .exe doesn't like being called by anything external. I
                  > could embed the Flash in Director but why should I have to go through that
                  > trouble.
                  >
                  > I'm stumped. I never had this problem with Flash 6 and it seems like it's
                  > still happening with the Flash 8 demo.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  • 6. Re: So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????
                    jweisb Level 1
                    No, didn't work. Blank screen. But works when I manually click on it. I'll send you the fla file as well as the autorun in a zip file called Flash Test.

• 7. Re: So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????
                      Level 7
                      got the files - initially i opened the autorun.inf and it looks like your code is wrong. Here's what
                      you have:

[autorun]
                      open=start START.EXE

Here's what it should have:

[autorun]
                      open=START.EXE

Your code is making the inf file look for a movie named "start START.EXE"

Correct the code - retest and let me know.

--> www.mudbubble.com
                      --> www.keyframer.com

jweisb wrote:
                      > No, didn't work. Blank screen. But works when I manually click on it. I'll send you the fla file as well as the autorun in a zip file called Flash Test.
                      >
                      >
                      • 8. Re: So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????
                        Level 7
                        and another thing - your naming convention is messed up - your FLA is named START.fla (with caps).
                        Your EXE is named "Start.exe" (only the "S" is in caps) and your inf file is looking for "start
                        START.EXE"

You have to be consistent with file names and use of caps. Highly recommend using either all lower
                        or upper case and make sure your inf file is looking for the same file name as your exe.

--> www.mudbubble.com
                        --> www.keyframer.com

Chris Georgenes wrote:
                        > got the files - initially i opened the autorun.inf and it looks like
                        > your code is wrong. Here's what you have:
                        >
                        > [autorun]
                        > open=start START.EXE
                        >
                        > Here's what it should have:
                        >
                        > [autorun]
                        > open=START.EXE
                        >
                        > Your code is making the inf file look for a movie named "start START.EXE"
                        >
                        > Correct the code - retest and let me know.
                        >
                        > ******************************************
                        > --> **Adobe Certified Expert**
                        > --> www.mudbubble.com
                        > --> www.keyframer.com
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > jweisb wrote:
                        >
                        >> No, didn't work. Blank screen. But works when I manually click on it.
                        >> I'll send you the fla file as well as the autorun in a zip file called
                        >> Flash Test.
                        >>
                        >>
                        • 9. Re: So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????
                          jweisb Level 1
                          Bingo! It works on the test file. So it should work on the actual project.

I did noticed the file naming earlier and changed that and it still didn't work. It was the extra start in the inf file. Sure helps to have an extra set of eyes.

Thank you very much!

I took a little time to look at your web site. Very nice work. Book marked it.
                          • 10. Re: So, I take it, nobody has this .exe problem??????
                            Level 7
                            Cool - glad it worked out. it is almost always the little things that cause big hurdles

-regards

jweisb wrote:
                            > Bingo! It works on the test file. So it should work on the actual project.
                            >
                            > I did noticed the file naming earlier and changed that and it still didn't
                            > work. It was the extra start in the inf file. Sure helps to have an extra set
                            > of eyes.
                            >
                            > Thank you very much!
                            >
                            > I took a little time to look at your web site. Very nice work. Book marked it.
                            >