2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 2:55 PM by Dov Isaacs

Adobe's new font plans are draconian

JoeAdair

Allowing only 100 (and even 200 for more $$) fonts synced is wholly inadequate and a huge time-waster that stifles creativity.

This is pure bait and switch and I'm reporting it to our state AG's office. You made millions of freelancers and businesses dependent on a workflow that included unlimited font usage, now you make that impossible and hold our former, expected and anticipated workplace hostage for new fees?

I've been a loyal Adobe customer as long as Adobe has existed; this is the first time I've ever seen you tell your customers to screw themselves. You're abominable.

• 1. Re: Adobe's new font plans are draconian
          AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

Um. You can sync all the desktop fonts you want that are available in Typekit. It's just that you can't exceed having more than 100 *simultaneously* synced. If you want to use another 20 different fonts, just unsync some first. Even after you unsync, they're still in your files and PDFs and epubs.

And fwiw there is nothing new about the number of fonts that can be synced at once. The plan that comes with a CC subscription is the "Portfolio" plan from Typekit.com, which costs $49/year. If you go to typekit.com/plans in a browser where you're not logged in to typekit, you can see them.

I checked on WebArchive.org (aka Wayback Machine) to see earlier versions of that /plans page, and there has always been a limit of 100 synced fonts (at a time) for the Portfolio plan.

Hope that helps,

AM

• 2. Re: Adobe's new font plans are draconian
            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

JoeAdair  wrote

Allowing only 100 (and even 200 for more $$) fonts synced is wholly inadequate and a huge time-waster that stifles creativity.

This is pure bait and switch and I'm reporting it to our state AG's office. You made millions of freelancers and businesses dependent on a workflow that included unlimited font usage, now you make that impossible and hold our former, expected and anticipated workplace hostage for new fees?

I've been a loyal Adobe customer as long as Adobe has existed; this is the first time I've ever seen you tell your customers to screw themselves. You're abominable.

Perhaps you can better explain how the Typekit plan included with the Creative Cloud subscriptions prevents you from having a workflow “that included unlimited font usage?” What has Adobe made “impossible” in terms of your workflow?

Prior to the availability of Typekit with the Creative Cloud subscriptions, you were free to license as many fonts as you wanted from Adobe or any other font foundry of your choice. Plus you had access to any and all fonts that were installed on your system as part of the operating system or by other applications. That has not changed with Typekit! Adobe and any other applications continue to support fonts that are installed on your system by sources other than Typekit. The only limits here are the limits typically imposed by the operating system (or any third party font managers) of your computer!

What Typekit provided with the Creative Cloud adds to your system is effectively a free lending library of fonts that you can use. Just as a traditional book library typically limits how many books you can check-out at one time, Typekit also limits the number of fonts that you can check-out and use at one time.

You need more than 100 typefaces simultaneously available to you? Two simple solutions:

(1)    Upgrade to a Typekit plan that accommodates your needs for that many simultaneous synchronized fonts.

(2)    Directly license the fonts you seem to need all the time directly from the font foundries.

Neither Adobe nor anyone else is holding your “former, expected, and anticipated workplace hostage to new fees” in any way in terms of Typekit. Many if not most Creative Cloud users have simply continued to use fonts the way they did in the past – direct licensing fonts from the foundries – without using Typekit and without having any issues whatsoever with regards to font access.

If your creative needs are for immediate and simultaneous access to many hundreds or thousands of typefaces, Typekit is probably not appropriate for you. Simply ignore it. It isn't costing you anything extra.

- Dov