12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 2:52 PM by tit_toinou

AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc

tit_toinou Level 1

Hi !

There's a bug when importing ProRes files with 8 bit alpha plane and using a 16 bpc project (8 bpc is fine), there are some glitches appearing :/ .

You can download files here to see for yourself :   https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5-1OeNPsecwQ1dpQUR5dW1OSTQ

This is quite an important issue

Cheers

• 1. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
          Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Please use the bug report form here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Also, moving thread to main After Effects forum, since this doesn't seem to be related to the plug-in SDK.

• 2. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
            tit_toinou Level 1

Hi Zac,

Thanks for answering. I already did submit a bug report . It's just that sometimes the dev hang around here, and maybe this is happening to others people so I thought that I should open a thread.

Cheers

• 3. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
              tit_toinou Level 1

Did you have the chance to look at the bug ? Note : I sent an interlaced ProRes but it happens also if it has a progressive scan

• 4. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

tit_toinou  wrote

Did you have the chance to look at the bug ?

Adobe's US offices are on their summer break this week. I wouldn't expect anything from them at this time. That being said, I don't think Zac is the one who gets the bug reports, but (when people are in the office) all bug reports get looked at pretty promptly. They rarely get responded to though, unless they need more information. Usually they just fix the bug in the next update or two.

Also, the user-to-user forums are not really the ideal place to get help from Adobe staff. This place is mostly filled with non-Adobe volunteers (like me) and the staff that you do see here are often volunteering their time as well.

If you want more involved (and official) support, you can go to adobe.com/support and BE SURE TO CLICK ON THE CREATIVE CLOUD ICON on that first screen regardless of what other options are there.

• 5. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
                  tit_toinou Level 1

Thanks Szalam !

I'm not sure they'll want to fix the bug though.
                  What's weird is I thought they used Quicktime for decoding... But this bug doesn't appear in Quicktime Player.
                  Thank you for your time anyway

Cheers

PS: "volunteering time" for an Adobe employee is quite a misleading term

• 6. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

tit_toinou  wrote

I'm not sure they'll want to fix the bug though.

Why not? This sounds like something they'd want to fix.

tit_toinou  wrote

What's weird is I thought they used Quicktime for decoding... But this bug doesn't appear in Quicktime Player.

They used to. Ever since Apple dropped development of QuickTime (and security vulnerabilities in the web player made everyone freak out), Adobe started moving After Effects (and other apps) over to native decoding of QuickTime files. It works pretty flawlessly in most cases, but they're still fixing outlying bugs here and there (which it seems like you've found).

Try using an older version of AE (like, say, the CC 2014 release) and it'll probably work just fine.

Your CC subscription includes access to older versions all the way back through CS6. Very useful for troubleshooting stuff like this! You can download them and install alongside current versions without any problems at all. See this page for the "how" (it's not as obvious as it first appears)..

tit_toinou  wrote

"volunteering time" for an Adobe employee is quite a misleading term

Back when Todd Kopriva worked for Adobe, he used to spend a lot of his time on the After Effects forums helping people, but it was not part of his job description. He spent a lot of his own personal time on the forums. He felt that it helped him stay in touch with actual After Effects users plus he just liked helping people out because he was a nice guy. In his case, "volunteering time" wouldn't have been a misleading term. He was on here unpaid. That's volunteering. I know he's not the only Adobe employee who has done that.

• 7. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
                      tit_toinou Level 1

Szalam  a écrit

Why not? This sounds like something they'd want to fix.

It's a bug only happening for ffmpeg users so it's not that important... (But very important for me as you can guess )

Szalam  a écrit

They used to. Ever since Apple dropped development of QuickTime (and security vulnerabilities in the web player made everyone freak out), Adobe started moving After Effects (and other apps) over to native decoding of QuickTime files. It works pretty flawlessly in most cases, but they're still fixing outlying bugs here and there (which it seems like you've found).

Thx for the tip. Yes the bug is not in CC 2014 but it's on CC 2015.3 and CC 2017 !

Szalam  a écrit

Back when Todd Kopriva worked for Adobe, he used to spend a lot of his time on the After Effects forums helping people, but it was not part of his job description. He spent a lot of his own personal time on the forums. He felt that it helped him stay in touch with actual After Effects users plus he just liked helping people out because he was a nice guy. In his case, "volunteering time" wouldn't have been a misleading term. He was on here unpaid. That's volunteering. I know he's not the only Adobe employee who has done that.

Yes in this case of course ! What I meant : employees using their own time to keep up with clients software issue (real bugs, not misuse) is bad management. But you're right it's not the official bug channel here

• 8. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi tit_toinou

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 9. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
                          ttoinoud Level 1

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for answering; Yes I am still experiencing this ProRes decoding issue. I might have also discovered another bug in the Mac version of After Effects, again about the ProRes decoding.

Thanks,

Antoine

• 10. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
                            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Sorry about that, Antoine. Can you file any bugs here?

Thanks,
                            Kevin

• 11. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
                              tit_toinou Level 1

Yes I'm going to do that once I'm finished investigating

Thanks

• 12. Re: AE ProRes Alpha 8 bits issue in 16 bpc
                                tit_toinou Level 1

Fausse alarme ! There's no difference between the Windows and the OSX in the prores decoder.
                                I already filed a bug for the first one I was talking about