1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2018 5:29 PM by luzp59102677

Smart Object with transform resizing problem

olh21 Level 1

An embeded smart object with a perspective transform get jaggy line after a resize compared to a rasterize layer  but the resize preview is actually OK

(the smart object is from a PNG file)

Screen-Shot-2017-06-23-at-10.56.26.jpg

• 1. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

As I understand it Smart Object instances are not calculated based on your Image Size Resample settings but based on the General Preferences Image Interpolation setting.

So you might have resampled the plain Layer with Bicubic but the Smart Object with Bicubic Automatic for example.

• 2. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
            olh21 Level 1

Yes I know that. And both are on Bicubique.

Morover it is a bug in itself that the preview not accurate.

Finally just look at the result ?? the resampling of the smart object is totally wrong... whatever bicubic method you use should not produce something like that.

• 3. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Image size is not a cropping tool. It cans distort an image if the width and height are not constrained linked to each other. So it can not change the image's content it can just distort  the image's composition .  The Image Size Preview is just not showing the whole image because of the size of the preview window the zoom level of the preview image does not fit within the preview window.  Here I show an image size dialog with the preview image zoom set to 100% actual pixels. That number of pixels can not even fit on my display  and surely can  not fit in Image Size preview window. No resize has been set here yet. It is not a bug the zoom level.

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                olh21 Level 1

??? have you read my post really ?

• 5. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem

Image size can not crop or add content zoom out in the Preview to see all of the content.

Capture.jpg

• 6. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Finally just look at the result ?? the resampling of the smart object is totally wrong... whatever bicubic method you use should not produce something like that.

You seem to forget that the transformed pixel Layer is resampled twice (the transformation and the Image Size operation) whereas the Smart Object is resampled »once« (because it is resampled from the original data each time) in your scenario.

• 7. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                      olh21 Level 1

????

read my post please and Look the result -> concentrate on the quality of the resize on the smart object .

It's all about the RESIZE result nothing to do with the crop. I perfectly know how the resize work

In another forum i explain that you get the same result if you 'export as' and resize during export

You get the same result if you resize the smart object

Nut with the resize tool it is mor obvious than with other explation

The resizing of smart object is completly buggy here

• 8. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                        The resizing of smart object is completly buggy here

When you transform the original pixel content to the final (transformed and downsampled) dimensions in one go the result should be close to indistinguishable form the transformed and downsampled Smart Object.

• 9. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                          olh21 Level 1

OK -> So resizing twice gets better result that resizing once ... ???

So smart object are useless ... (just kidding)

No really there is allready a bunch of identifyed know bug like that

here for example Photoshop: EPS or PDF Smart objects render badly (with jags) when being scaled or transformed. | Photoshop Family Custom…

• 10. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem

Please do it again and zoom out the preview so you can see all of the content of the image, Image size will not change content just the size of the image. Zoom your preview image out so you can see all.

You can not see all in the dialog you posted there is no room for all of you image at the zoom level you using.. As the results show.

• 11. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                              olh21 Level 1

My screen shot are at 100% both if you are not 100 % you cannot juge the result

What you see here is actually my image i am working at 100%

• 12. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                                OK -> So resizing twice gets better result that resizing once ... ???

»Different« is the word.

Resampling pixel content twice can provide different results that achieving the same dimensions in one resampling-operation, this should not be a surprise.

If you find the »other« result so much better you can convert the SO to an SO before Resampling …

• 14. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem

Your content is changing so it not Image size doing it.  Try resetting your Photoshop preferences and tools. Photoshop is not working correctly in an area that has always work for me.  I do not believe its a bug I believe something is corrupt on your machine. What version of Photoshop do you use? I can only test on Windows I mat be able to test the Photoshop version you are using but on windows.

Image size should transform the document canvas size and all layers in the document including the smart object associated transform the Smart Ojject Pixels will not be changed just its associated transform should change to reflect the change in canvas size.

• 15. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                    olh21 Level 1

If you tranform and resize both in one step via the transform you still get different result .... so ?

• 16. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                      olh21 Level 1

Mac os latest version of photoshop CC 2017 up to date. last update really recently

It's the first time i see that... maybe it's a bug introduced in the last version

I can be reproduce really easylly

- Create an image 2500 px high

- Write some text/ rasterize (it easier to spot on text)

- create a smart obect with the rasterized text layer

- ( Transform optionally the smart object as it is more obvious when transform )

- duplicate the smart object and rasterized the duplicate

- You have to identical layer one smart object the othe rasterize

THEN resize 33% both in one step and compare ... you should have the same result and it is not the case...

• 17. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                                        If you tranform and resize both in one step via the transform you still get different result .... so ?

So you say … screenshots of my test:

smartObjectResampleMethodTransformationResultScr.jpg

• 18. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                          olh21 Level 1

That's what i expect ... What is your version on what platteform?

• 19. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

- ( Transform optionally the smart object as it is more obvious when transform )

THEN resize 33% both in one step and compare ... you should have the same result and it is not the case...

You say that but you do not provide screenshots to illustrate your claim.

Please see how different the results are for me for a Perspectival Transformation and downscaling:

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 17.21.12.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 17.21.26.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 17.21.34.png

• 21. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem

Can you post the layered psd. Upload it to a file sharing site and post a link to it. Canvas, layers, layer mask, transforms etc. should all be resized by Image size.

Reset all Photoshop Tool and you user ID Preferences.

Capture.jpg

Text that has been rasterize will not interpolate well.  Smart Object layers rendered pixels are not change however they are interpolated via the associated transform to render the layer for Photoshop composite.

• 22. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                                c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

You forgot to hide the Smart Object in screenshot 1 so it is meaningless.

• 23. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Also: Were the screenshots taken at View > 100% or a larger magnification?

• 24. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                                    olh21 Level 1

You are right - My mistake

It's even more obvious when you show only one layer

• 27. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                                      olh21 Level 1

Here is the file i used

TestResize.tif - Google Drive

Can you please resize it to 33 % and compare the result of both layer on your computer

• 28. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                                        olh21 Level 1

Here is the result on my computer (both the general resize parameter and the resize windows set to bicubic (smooth) the simple one)

TestResize_33p_BicubicSmooth.tif - Google Drive

• 29. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                                          olh21 Level 1

Same test done with the file TestResize.tif - Google Drive with Photoshop CC 2015,5 on another Mac computer leads to the same result.

Cris Cox admited here Photoshop: EPS or PDF Smart objects render badly (with jags) when being scaled or transformed. | Photoshop Family Custom… that a bug like this occured with PDF and EPS 4 years ago.

They say they corrected this but never investigated the general case. And M Cox is unfortunatly not part of Adobe anymore.

Is there someone from support that can help ?

• 30. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem

The problem I have with all you write. If you know there is a bug and that rasterized text does not interpolate well. Why do you want the Bug to bite and why do you rasterize text and then distort and resize the text through transforms interpolation.  Who knows if Adobe will ever fix the bug you let bit you, Why convert editable vector text to a raster image.  Why not convert it to a shape if you want to make it hard to edit.

Your post show that Image size was cropping your image on three sides. That does not happen on my machine there may be something corrupted on yours.

These do not show cropping just show that the rasterizing text then distorting and resizing  it does not work well and should be avoided. The smart obJect text may also be much larger then there other raster layer depends on the size of the actual object.

Screen+Shot+2017-06-23+at+17.41.20.pngScreen+Shot+2017-06-23+at+17.41.11.png

• 31. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                                              olh21 Level 1

The first post is a manual screen capture on wich I croped myself not to post the whole screen to show the problem

there is NO crop problem. it's just an extract of the actual picture

Second i do show the problem on text because it's more obvious but it happens on EVERY raster smart object you transform then resize

Typically if you are working with mockup or web interface an "export as" with resize you will have this problem.

Here for exemple i don't have the original image non raster images  and this is all part part of a complex workflow where i NEED smart object to be resized on a large batch of images.

It's basic use of photoshop for web design or mockup design to use smart object - if this does not work the complete workflow is just not usable.

Some people can be just confident in photoshop and get very bad result using this common workflow

Third the purpose of a forum is to post problem so that people facing the same problem can quickly stop loosing time trying to solve something wich is obviously not working. I am not posting that here for me or for you expecting to solve it. I am posting so that ADOBE get aware of the problem, so that other people gets informed of the problem and be carefull in their web design workflow involving smartobject.

I you want to help please run the test from my file on a window computer and tell me if you got the same result.

• 32. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem

Your post stated actual result which was less than what was in the preview was you showed a crop not actual result How were we to know you cropped the actual results? The what you labeled actual results was not the actual result.

If you want to get Adobe Aware use the correct Adobe Feedback web site report what you feel is a bad bug that Photoshop does not work well there: Photoshop Family Customer Community . Do not show crops labeled actual results.

Smart Object layers Pixels can not be change the layer's pixels are interpolated to change its size. All smart Object layers have an associated transform.    If the size change is great Like raster layers the results will not be grate too much detail must either be discarded or created.    You can make a mountain out of an ant  hill or place a mountain forest on an ant hill.

Size requirement may require you to have images files that have different image quality.  Good quality text require high resolution.  A phonebook page will not be readable in a icon size image.  That detail can not  be stored in a 2,000 px image.

You should not expect Photoshop to do the impossible

• 33. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                                                  olh21 Level 1

I just want photoshop to do what it is supposed to do

I DONT WANT to be able to read the text...  it's just a preview...  an example for details not an actual final result . I don't care if the text is readable I know that it is to small to be read this is not the problem, small text is a way of showing fine details.

I perfecly know what photoshop can do and what it can't .

Can we focus on the real problem. if the text is readable or not i dont care.

I WANT photoshop to resize properly the way it is suppose to resize hence using a correct bicubic algorithme

when resizing smart object like it does when resizing raster.

Both should result in the SAME result and it is not the case.

A bug report has been done 4 years ago apparently and ADOBE acknowledge the problem but they claim that the problem was solve for EPS and PDF but it is not for raster.

Have you done the test yourself?

• 34. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem

If its a known problem what is there to test.  All I could do is confirm there is a problem.  If it is an Adobe Problem there is nothing I can do. I do not work for Adobe,  Myself I work around Adobe problems till  they get fixed. Some bugs are never fixed.  That is my life. I do not hold my breath waiting for Adobe to Fix Problem I've reported and Adobe acknowledged.  I would have been dead years ago. CS2 bugs, CS4 bugs etc are still in CC 2017 and CC 2017 has new bugs. Such is Photoshop.  You need to work around Adobe bugs that bite you.  Many of the bugs you will never encounter, others will.

We all would like Photoshop to work well and be bug free I will not see that Photoshop in my lifetime. Bugs I have reported 7 years ago have not been fixed.   Four yours is not a record.

• 36. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem

If you are being bitten by an Adobe bug there is noting you can do but report it and hope that Adobe will address the bug.

If you know doing something  is going to have problems and produce an unacceptable result.   Why do it?

It is one thing to be bitten by a bug you do did not ask to be bitten. Asking to be bitten is a different story. If you know there is a bug there avoid it work around it. The bug may still be there when your dead.

I have been using Photoshop Many years20+  I have invested a lot in Photoshop.  There is no alternative for me no one product can replace Photoshop and use what I have developed for Photoshop.  Heck I can now really state I use CC 2017 I don't CC 2017 bite what I have developed. I use CC 2014...

• 37. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem
                                                                        olh21 Level 1

I will lost hundred of hour of work because i was not aware of the bug.

Had i knew it before i wouldn't of course have made it that way

Now i will have to restart without the smart object

Now that i am aware that it is a bug i will act in consequence

I am just here to help OTHERS not to do the same mistake

For that i had to be sure that it is really a bug so some other people had to be able to reproduce easilly

And confirm the pb.

• 38. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem

One more thing how well a smart object layer resize has  a lot to do with the quality of the object.   I do not find resizing a quality smart object layer to be a problem. To big it will get soft to small you will not be able to read it.  Just like a raster layer  How good and how many pixel do you have for the object?

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

• 39. Re: Smart Object with transform resizing problem

olh21  wrote

Again If you know something will not work well why do it.  I will create your 2500 PX high Doc I'll make it 2500px by 2500 PX and add a smart Object Layer with good raster text perspective transform then resize 33% To see what I see and how I feel about it. 33% of 2500 is 825PX how distorted text can look good with that many pixel?  I feel the result are acceptable from what I see.

Capture.jpg.

1 2 Previous Next