3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2006 5:35 PM by Newsgroup_User

Flash vs. After Effects

Betty_Blue

Look guys, I'm an enthusiastic After Effects user... for me it's one of the best post-production tools ever invented. My question: why bother learning Flash (a web-based animation program) when I can simply work in After Effects (cool for video/broadcast) and then encode my stuff into flv format?
        • 1. Re: Flash vs. After Effects
          Rothrock Level 5
          I can speak Hindi (one foreign language), why should I learn how to cook (something completely different)?

Because they are different things that meet different needs.

I don't know After Effects but does it do interactivity? Can you use it to produce stand alone data driven interactive applications to distribute on CD-ROM? Can you download that video animation over a dial-up modem?

They are very different tools. There are probably other folks here who can really explain the differences better.
          • 2. Re: Flash vs. After Effects
            2m Level 2
            Though Rothrock's reply might be a bit harsh essentially he is right, you really do compare apples with pears.

There might be the situation, where you have to do an animation/video without interactivity and both apps might be a good choice, but if there are parts in the video, taht can make use of loops, or animations of vector elements (for example) the download-size of the swf will almost ever be only a fraction of the video (doesn't really matter if flash-video or any other compresse format.)
            But in fact both applications are very good at what they do, and can be combined to make your work, reagardless if for web or video even better than only one.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Flash and After-Effects are like a language and cooking, but maybe like cooking and mixing drinks, being good at both makes you an even better host than only knowing one, and in some ways, knowing one can even help you learning the other.
            • 3. Re: Flash vs. After Effects
              Level 7
              How would you develop anything like a game or navigation system in AE? I
              like AE too, but for me both are for specefic tasks. I would use AE for the
              visual part of my works (backgrounds, intro, etc) while use flash to add
              foreground elements that will change to interect to user's inputs.

"forumnotifier" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> a �crit dans le message
              news:<e505n7$ls6$1@forums.macromedia.com>...

>

> Look guys, I'm an enthusiastic After Effects user... for me it's one

> of the

> best post-production tools ever invented. My question: why bother learning

> Flash (a web-based animation program) when I can simply work in After
              Effects

> (cool for video/broadcast) and then encode my stuff into flv format?

>

"forumnotifier" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> a �crit dans le message de
              news: e505n7$ls6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >
              > Look guys, I'm an enthusiastic After Effects user... for me it's one of
              the
              > best post-production tools ever invented. My question: why bother learning
              > Flash (a web-based animation program) when I can simply work in After
              Effects
              > (cool for video/broadcast) and then encode my stuff into flv format?
              >