5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2006 5:27 PM by Newsgroup_User

Accessing Flash in SWT Browser

Succhi
      Let me preface this with my setup. I am running Eclipse 3.1 on WinXp Home and using the Eclipse flex plugin. On my first attempt at installing I got FP9 installed and the system asked for a reboot, I started Eclipse after the reboot but there was no sign of any Eclipse plugins ( I can't remember if Eclipse was running during my first install, that might have been a problem though there was no prompt to close it if it was). I then clicked the install again and ran through it once more without installing FP9 so it would keep going. Finally I got the plugin installed. Now onto my problem.

I open the Flex Start Page in Eclipse and click on the "Run Flex Compnent Explorer", the page loads with the side bar and two blank frame. I click on a link in the sidebar and the browser prompts me to install flash 8. I click 'yes' to install and the frame goes from empty to a coloured background but that's all. Each time I click on a link in the side bar I get prompted again to install Flash 8. And on it goes. How do I fix this? I have looked every where for an answer and have yet to find one that helps.

Cheers,
      Stuart.
        • 2. Re: Accessing Flash in SWT Browser
          Level 7
          Hi,

> Let me preface this with my setup. I am running Eclipse 3.1 on WinXp Home and
          > using the Eclipse flex plugin. On my first attempt at installing I got FP9
          > installed and the system asked for a reboot, I started Eclipse after the reboot
          > but there was no sign of any Eclipse plugins ( I can't remember if Eclipse was
          > running during my first install, that might have been a problem though there
          > was no prompt to close it if it was). I then clicked the install again and ran
          > through it once more without installing FP9 so it would keep going. Finally I
          > got the plugin installed. Now onto my problem.
          >
          > I open the Flex Start Page in Eclipse and click on the "Run Flex Compnent
          > Explorer", the page loads with the side bar and two blank frame. I click on a
          > link in the sidebar and the browser prompts me to install flash 8. I click
          > 'yes' to install and the frame goes from empty to a coloured background but
          > that's all. Each time I click on a link in the side bar I get prompted again to
          > install Flash 8. And on it goes. How do I fix this? I have looked every where
          > for an answer and have yet to find one that helps.

The problem is that you need Flash Player 9 installed to view the
          Component Explorer. It sounds like FP9 didn't get installed
          successfully the first time around. (Since the official version of FP9
          isn't available, the autodownload from Adobe autodownloads FP8, which
          won't help.)

To check this, go to any page with a Flash movie on it (like the Adobe
          home page), right-click on the movie, and see what the "About" entry
          says. If it doesn't say "About Flash Player 9...", then you don't have
          the right version installed. If so, you can try running the installer
          again to see if it installs FP9 successfully, or you can try the
          standalone FP9 installer at:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs#flashplayer9

Thanks.

--
          nj
          Flex Builder team
          • 3. Re: Accessing Flash in SWT Browser
            Level 7
            One more thing to try--try making sure all your browsers (IE or Firefox)
            are closed before installing FP9.

--
            nj
            Flex Builder team
            • 4. Re: Accessing Flash in SWT Browser
              Succhi Level 1
              So am I to understand that FP9 should have been installed and made available to the internal browser? My problem was that I wasn't sure if this was even the case. I have FP9 available to my external browsers (Firefox and IE - I haven't checked opera) but my internal browser. I might try and re-install then with everything closed down.

Stuart.
              • 5. Re: Accessing Flash in SWT Browser
                Level 7
                Succhi wrote:
                > So am I to understand that FP9 should have been installed and made available to
                > the internal browser? My problem was that I wasn't sure if this was even the
                > case. I have FP9 available to my external browsers (Firefox and IE - I haven't
                > checked opera) but my internal browser. I might try and re-install then with
                > everything closed down.

The internal browser in Eclipse is just whatever version of IE you have
                installed, so if it works in IE externally, it should work in the
                internal Eclipse browser. If it's not, something weird is going on...

If you right-click on the area at the bottom of the Component Explorer
                (where the sample Flex app is supposed to play), do you get "About Adobe
                Flash Player 9"?

--
                nj
                Flex Builder team