• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Lightroom with 2 Computers

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro and I am trying to be able to edit with my catalog on both computers (at different times) and I'm struggling to find out the best way to do this. The way I have it set up now is that I have my Catalog stored on a RAID setup to keep it safe. I have another portable thunderbolt hard drive that I'd like to store the catalog on as well and then plug it into the laptop and edit that way.

Is this possible? Do I need to sync the catalog's before editing on each different computer? I'm very new when it comes to multiple catalogs so I'd love an in depth explanation if you understand this fully.

From my understanding, I could just keep a catalog on my portable hard drive, but I don't want to face an issue where that hard drive could be lost or damaged and my entire catalog is gone. I'd like to keep my catalog on the RAID so that won't happen, but also have it on a portable hard drive.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about this would be great!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

This is a classical. You find a lot of answers to this problem in this forum:

Share LR CC Catalog Catalog between Desktop and Laptop?

Using lightroom mobile without desktop/laptop

Best way to work when using 2 Computers (Laptop and Desktop)

Questions about using an external hard drive to connect Lightroom between a desktop and a laptop computer.

My config:

Laptop and external disk (2TB) for mobile shooting.

I import the catalog (and pictures) from the external disk to my desktop (6TB).

The desktop g

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place all the images and the LR catalog file, Preview and the like on an external drive. Move that drive from Mac to Mac to edit, view, whatever.

All you have to do is point LR on each Mac to look for the catalog on the external disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this keep the catalog that is on my RAID up to date?

I don't have a problem just going back and forth with my catalog, but I want to make sure I have a solid backup at all times in case something happens to my portable hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you have to do that manually or with some type of backup, second copy, utility. Please note that the catalog file can't be used if it is located on a network drive. It has to be local to the computer that is running LR and trying to access it. By local I mean a drive connected directly to that computer, internal or external.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me ask you this. If I simply select the photos I want to edit on my laptop and go to File and then Export as Catalog, save that catalog to an external hard drive and open that external up on my laptop, that should technically work, right? I just tried it and it seemed to work and opened perfectly on the laptop. The only concern I have now is when I import that catalog back into my desktop, how do I bring those photos back into my original catalog with all the changes I have made? Also, will the original catalog (desktop) keep all the photos that I deleted when on the laptop? I'd obviously prefer if, when I brought the new catalog (laptop) into my old catalog (desktop), it would remove all the photos I had removed from the laptop. Does it do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes exporting as catalog will work and then Export as catalog on the notebook and import catalog of the desktop Mac.

But I've never had the need to do this although I do have both a notebook and a desktop and have LR on each. I have one catalog on the notebook and a different one on the desktop and never cross reference them.

I do very little editing on my notebook. About the only thing I use LR for on the notebook is to keep track of shots I've taken while traveling or jobsite images. Personally I don't understand how anyone can do any good editing on a notebook.

When and if I do some editing on my notebook I have the option to Auto write changes to XMP so when I get back to my deskopt and copy whatever images I downloaded to the notebook and then import them to my desktop install of LR, LR will read the XMP files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brockburwell  wrote

From my understanding, I could just keep a catalog on my portable hard drive, but I don't want to face an issue where that hard drive could be lost or damaged and my entire catalog is gone.

Yes, this would work, and is a good solution when you keep switching between computers. Equally, you identify the main risk.

So, each time you use the catalogue, can't you back it up before disconnecting the drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a classical. You find a lot of answers to this problem in this forum:

Share LR CC Catalog Catalog between Desktop and Laptop?

Using lightroom mobile without desktop/laptop

Best way to work when using 2 Computers (Laptop and Desktop)

Questions about using an external hard drive to connect Lightroom between a desktop and a laptop com...

My config:

Laptop and external disk (2TB) for mobile shooting.

I import the catalog (and pictures) from the external disk to my desktop (6TB).

The desktop gets backed-up to my NAS (18TB).

This config works fine for me. Only draw back is, that the publish services are not synchronized.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to export the Catalog from my Mac, and import it on my PC (Windows 10). They are the exact same version of Lightroom, however one is Mac and one is PC, and the Mac Catalog says it's from a newer version. Any work around for this? I don't see where I can save the Catalog as a previous version, and other message boards seem to say that is impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you have to do is Copy the catalog over from Mac to PC or PC to Mac.

No need to export it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it gives the message about a newer version, I would expect it is true. In LR, use the menu command Help > System Info - the first line shows the exact version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks all, checking further into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had tried that originally. No go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines