5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2017 1:56 PM by Stephen_A_Marsh

Can't find my Actions in Photoshop (CC 2017)

KSCF_Vafan

When I open Photoshop I can't find my Actions in the Actions-window. How do I get them back and what might have happen?

• 2. Re: Can't find my Actions in Photoshop (CC 2017)
          KSCF_Vafan Level 1

How do I open the Action pallet PSP-files? Don't seem to work if you just open them in Photoshop. And also, might my actions be in here?

However, I don't think I ever have saved the actions more than in the program itself (record and then stop). Is this saving or is there another way you should do aswell?

• 3. Re: Can't find my Actions in Photoshop (CC 2017)
            Stephen_A_Marsh Adobe Community Professional

How do I open the Action pallet PSP-files? Don't seem to work if you just open them in Photoshop. And also, might my actions be in here?

They need to be stored in the location/s specified in the previously linked blog post. However if these action files have been “reset” or lost, then unless you have backups of the individual .atn files (see below) or an earlier backup of the .psp files then you may be out of luck.

However, I don't think I ever have saved the actions more than in the program itself (record and then stop). Is this saving or is there another way you should do aswell?

This is not good. This is only storing them in the .psp file, which can be temporary as you have sadly found. As mentioned in the previously linked blog post: “best practice is to manually save out each action set individually to a .atn (action) file using the menu on the upper right of the action palette window”.

Select an action set (folder) in the list and then:

action-menu-save-action.png

• 4. Re: Can't find my Actions in Photoshop (CC 2017)
              KSCF_Vafan Level 1

Okey, that's really sad to hear.

Edit: I found three Actions Pallet, but only one had a few of my actions (only 4). But why have this happened? Is it from an update? Becaus if that's the case I'd rather not update Photoshop at all.

• 5. Re: Can't find my Actions in Photoshop (CC 2017)
                Stephen_A_Marsh Adobe Community Professional

Did you update Photoshop? If so, did you remove the old version? You may be lucky to find the .psp file from the old version.

Do you have any system backups, such as Time Machine on the Mac OS?

My blog post contains the link where .atn files need to be placed if you wish for them to be migrated.

There is more than one possibility on why your actions palette preference file/s have been lost. By design, .psp files are somewhat transient and one should not trust that they will always be there. Whether you update Photoshop or not, the actions palette .psp file may become corrupted, or user error could reset it etc. Action .atn files are a “hard record” of the action sets and the actions contained within them.

The main take-away point is that you need to manually save the action set files from the palette as .atn files and back them up – and or you need to make regular backups of the “temporary” .psp file.