Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Free git client for DW

Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can anyone recommend, an easy to setup, and free version control tool for DW?

I would like to setup a local version control on my PC for the current project I ma working on.

DW CC 2017 has a git integration and i am not quite sure how to use this or if there are free way to install a local client.

Thank you...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

I think this problem was related to my specifc computer or its firewall setting, in case git need to communicate .

I temporarilt installed DW on another machine and all works smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the very latest version of DW 2017.5 yet?  GIT is integrated in the new version only.

Work efficiently with Git integration |

For more info, see New features summary for the 2017 releases of Dreamweaver CC

Release Notes for Dreamweaver CC 2017 releases.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the Aussi voice in the video, a refreshing change.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i do but from in order to log into git you need an account.

since i am only creating a personal website i do not want to pay for a git account yet.

If i can install a local client on my pc i would but i am looking for a way to do it.

Also perhaps you could help me with another git related issue: Cannot associate git repositpory

many thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download Git Bash from Git for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you,

i'll download it and try to set up.

do you have any idea why the "Associate a git repository" option could be grayed out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read Learn how to download and use Git with Dreamweaver CC.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i have. it does not address this.

one thing i did not fully understand what under preferences/git -  the path to the "path to terminal"

still, the option to add git is grayed out on the site management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am checking with the product team. Stay tuned for a response.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i am

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path to terminal in the preference dialogue picks up the path where your git client is installed. In your case, it is in Program files in C drive. DW automatically picks up this location once the client is correctly installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karpiyon,

The options to associate to a git repository would be grayed in the following cases:

- You have not downloaded and installed the git client.

- The git client is downloaded but not yet initialized( this happens in the first 10-15 secs after DW launches). If you have opened the site set up dialogue right after launch DW, the options appear grayed out as git is still initializing. Workaround is to close the site set up dialogue and reopen after a while by the time git is initialized.

Thanks,

DW Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

I did as you instructed but i noticed that when i hoover above the associate button, i keep getting the message" Please wait, Git is being initialized"

Closing the setup pane and reopening after some time does not help.

this happens for existing sites and new once i try to created.

I have downloaded and installed git and specified in the preferences:

path to git executable: c:\program files\git\bin

path to terminal: i left as is - empty

or should the paths be other?

i tried running DW as admin and this did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am still unable to use git - the optino is still grayed out.

I'd like to go over the actions i did:

1. I downloaded and installed "Git-2.13.1.2-64-bit.exe" from:
    https://git-scm.com/downloads this is what adobe suggests in: https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/git-support.html
    should I have downloaded the one from http://windows.github.com ?
  2. I created and account in https://github.com/
  3. I run git on my pc and set it up:
    >git config
    >git config --global user.name ...
    >git config --global user.email ....
  4. I verified that git was add to my windows path.
    it added : C:\Program Files\Git\cmd

Have I missed anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karpiyon,

Are you able to view the git view in files panel? Are you getting the same message please wait git is being initialized? If you are able to see the git view in files panel with the branch drop down, git terminal and git panel icons etc, then creating and choosing a new local site folder in the site set up dialogue should work. Also, the path to git executable is autopopulated as git.exe. Did you explicitly provide C:\Program files\git\bin\git.exe ? Please confirm what parameters you see in your registry for Git Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you,

1. The git in the file panel is grayed out as well.
  2. I set the git path my self, later I tried to install "Git Hub Desktop" (which I removed afterward) and i think it added teh command argument "--cd=$1"
  3. Which git registry are you reffering too?
    under c:\.gitconfig i have the username, email and default text editor
    under c:\ProgramData\Git\config I have:

[core]

symlinks = false

autocrlf = true

fscache = true

[color]

diff = auto

status = auto

branch = auto

interactive = true

[help]

format = html

[rebase]

autosquash = tru

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this problem was related to my specifc computer or its firewall setting, in case git need to communicate .

I temporarilt installed DW on another machine and all works smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

karpiyon  wrote

yes i do but from in order to log into git you need an account.

since i am only creating a personal website i do not want to pay for a git account yet.

If i can install a local client on my pc i would but i am looking for a way to do it.

many thanks,

Every tutorial that's been linked in this discussion has mentioned a step 1 of creating a git account and downloading the git client on your computer. Your reply implies that you have not created a git account and/or downloaded and configured the git client because of your incorrect belief that all git accounts require payment. Please be aware that a free git account exists for open source public repos. So the $1 million question is... have you created a git account and setup the git client as instructed in step 1 of every tutorial that has been linked to in this discussion? Simple yes or no answer please. I would think that you would not be able to associate your git repo with a DW site if you have not yet setup a local git client by creating a git account and downloading/installing their client on your machine.

One more question... Do you really need git integration anyway?!? Judging by your posts it would seem you're a one-man-band that isn't collaborating with anyone. A rinky dink personal website would probably not need any version control either. So I wonder why you feel like you need git integration? If it's just for you to familiarize yourself with the process then that is commendable and I encourage you to continue to educate yourself with the process. Otherwise you may want to re-evaluate your workflow and determine if git integration is something that you need at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thank for your devoted reply.

I will reconsider the real need for git in my site. part of it was for learning purposes and part for real version control,though i keep local constant copies.

I have setup a git account and download and setup the local client - hopefully as it should.

the problem i encounter now is that the option to use the git account is still grayed out on my current DW site and even for new sites i try to create.

I do remember that before i installed git on my windows machine this option was available.

perhaps there is some kind of hidden setting which prevent this?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karpiyon,

The local site folder you've chosen in the site set up dialogue could be having .git folder which is a hidden folder. Which means its already a repository. Could you create a new local site folder while creating a new site and check if still the options are grayed out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karpiyon,

Creating an account in github is free. You could create an account in github, add repositories and place your code there and point your local repositories in DW to the github remotes or clone the github repo into DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines