7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2017 10:10 PM by Prithviraj Dev

Best way to save images in Lightroom

Prithviraj Dev

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to Lightroom CC, hence the pretty basic question, but one i'm sure plenty of noobs like me would be asking.

What is the best way to save images on your computer?

I transfer images (RAW files) on to my Mac from the DSLR,

view them in Photos (Apple Native software) and then chose the ones I wish to edit in Lightroom by selecting the export unmodified version option to a folder marked 'Photos for Lightroom'.

I then open Lightroom and import those files with the Smart Preview option checked.

And the 'Photos for Lightroom' folder is then deleted periodically by me since I feel there are two copies of the same image on my hard-drive.

So initially this method was working fine for me, but I have been having some issues with this way (obviously) of late.

Example:
      I shot an image six months ago and now I want to edit it in Photoshop via Lightroom and back but the option is greyed out.

I can still edit the image in Lightroom, export it and then open in Photoshop but that would be a roundabout way of doing it and I want to be able to save time on such a simple task.

What am I doing wrong in terms of file handling/organising and how do you do it?

I want to be able to not store the image twice, but just once and be able to edit it N number of times.

Thanks a ton.

• 1. Re: Best way to save images in Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

Let's use Lightroom terminology. There is no "Save" command in Lightroom, so you can't "Save" images. You want to Export the images to make a copy on the hard disk containing your edits.

Next, let's talk basic workflow. If you are using Lightroom only as an editor, then first, in my opinion, this is a mistake and in reality causes you to do more work. Lightroom works much better if you use it as both an image management tool as well as an editor and a distribution tool. If you are going to use Apple Photos in your workflow, then again in my opinion, you are making more work for yourself, unnecessary work, transferring photos to Lightroom and then exporting the results back to Apple Photos.

If you use Lightroom for all of these tasks (and do not use Apple Photos in your worfklow), you eliminate the steps of transferring photos back and forth, and you eliminate the need to delete the "Photos for Lightroom" folder. Instead, once you import the photos into Lightroom, you can leave them in Lightroom, you won't delete the folder that they are in, and then six months later, when you want to make use of the photo in Lightroom again, it's still there on the hard disk where it was when you imported it, and all Lightroom (and Photoshop) tasks are now simple.

So here's the workflow I recommend:

1. Import photos into Lightroom (and do not use Apple Photos)
          2. Perform editing and image management on these photos
          3. Export photos only as needed
          4. Do not delete photos or folders (do not even move them around)
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best way to save images in Lightroom
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Your first mistake is using the Apple Photos app.

Pick one photo/image software program and use that for all importing, Copying, Viewing, Editing, and organizing of your images.

• 3. Re: Best way to save images in Lightroom
              ak_mighty_cushion Level 1

Hi Prithviraj,

With Adobe there's never just one way!

But here's how I do it on Lightroom CC/6 - no doubt others may have a more streamlined approach...

1. Insert camera card with raw files into iMac.

2. Open Lightroom, card is recognised by Lightroom in left side panel in LIBRARY module.

3. Click Import at bottom of left side panel. Click COPY at the top of Lightroom's window & tick Don't Import Suspected Duplicates.

4. Create a folder where you want to keep those files. You can place that folder wherever you want it to be (e.g. on your internal drive or an external one; as a main folder or a subfolder) & name it by date & place or whatever you prefer. You can add keywords as well if you like.

5. Once you've prepared a place for the raw files - & make sure you do this WITHIN Lightroom, not directly on your drive - click on IMPORT & Lightroom will proceed to make a COPY of the files into that folder you created earlier. Lightroom will show the progress in the export module. At the same time, Lightroom will record these in its Catalogue (database) & any future changes you make to them in the Develop module will also be recorded in the catalogue. Never trash a Catalogue as Lightroom will lose track of all your photos & all changes you've made to them.

6. Let Lightroom complete the file transfers. It can take some time depending on the speed of your computer. You'll see the progress bar upper left.

7. Click on DEVELOP module & work on your photos.

Doing it this way I've never had any problems with editing images in Photoshop (as a "smart object" is a good idea as it lets you use Photoshop's filters on the image). All you need to do is save them in Photoshop. When you flip back to Lightroom your "original" is still there & your altered image (as a TIFF) will also be there next to it.

It's important to remember that any folder/directory changes you make should be inside Lightroom or it will lose track of where your files are.

Lightroom never works on your files directly or in a destructive way as it is only changing the information in its Catalogue.

Lightroom creates a COPY of your raw files in the first instance. The raw files in your camera card are still there & you can also copy those onto a backup drive for safe keeping if you like. Lightroom allows you to copy to a second location as well.

Hope this helps. Lightroom is a great app. Not only does it develop your images but it's also a great organiser too, keeping you on track with what's happening with your files.

• 4. Re: Best way to save images in Lightroom
                Prithviraj Dev Level 1

Thank you all for taking the time out to reply.

As I feared, I was doing something wrong

Thanks to you all, I will be able to go about my work without a hitch.

Cheers,

Prithvi

• 5. Re: Best way to save images in Lightroom
                  Prithviraj Dev Level 1

Cheers,

Prithvi

• 6. Re: Best way to save images in Lightroom
                    Prithviraj Dev Level 1

Cheers,

Prithvi