3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2017 7:34 PM by Veachel

Lr 4 w/CD.  Bought new MacBook Pro, can I use disc on new computer?

Veachel

Just upgraded from a 2009 MacBook pro15 and purchased new MacBook 15 w/slide-bar.  I learned that now there is a monthly fee if I want to upgrade to LR6. 

I would prefer to stay away from a monthly fee and would be ok staying with LR4 if it will keep running in the future since I'm only an amateur.  I have the LR4 CD w/serial number still loaded on old mac. 

Questions: Do I need to remove LR4 from old computer?  Is it possible to load CD onto new computer without showing 30 day trial period and having to get on a monthly payment plan? 

Any helpful answers or suggestions to help clarify this process would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks...Veachel

• 1. Re: Lr 4 w/CD.  Bought new MacBook Pro, can I use disc on new computer?
          Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should be able to install Lightroom 4 on the new MacBook Pro, but of course current Mac laptops don't have an optical drive, so you can't insert the CD unless you have an external optical drive. Instead, download the Lightroom 4 installer from this web page (Download Photoshop Lightroom) and just enter the serial number from your CD.

New Macs come with macOS 10.12 Sierra, but be aware that Lightroom 4 may not work properly on Sierra. Some of the known problems are in the Adobe tech note Known issues - Running Lightroom CC on macOS 10.12 Sierra. If any Sierra incompatibilities get in your way, you'll want to upgrade to the latest version of Lightroom 6. If you don't want to pay a subscription, Lightroom 6 is available without a subscription.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lr 4 w/CD.  Bought new MacBook Pro, can I use disc on new computer?
            Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi veachel,

We have sent you a private message, please check.

Regards,

Mohit

• 3. Re: Lr 4 w/CD.  Bought new MacBook Pro, can I use disc on new computer?
              Veachel Level 1

Thank you so much for the info.  I didn't know about the possible hitch with Sierra that may cause problems.  That right there is enough to convence me to purchase Lr6.  I'm an amateur photographer trying my best to keep off the cloud because paying the monthly fees is something that I'm having a hard time with.  And it seems that it is up in the air if there is going to be a Lr7...hmmm. 

FYI: I'm taking my new MacBook to the Apple Store tomorrow 6/27/17 because upon opening, the screen didn't light up correctly (no tv signal type fuzzy) nor did any keys function except for the space bar that was talking to me saying three different commands at one time..crazy!  on on on/off off off and slid-bar keys would stick with key-light on...errr!

It was definitely hung up until I just used all my fingers punching all the different keys at once.  I don't think Lr4 was open at the time, but I had loaded it earlier using an Apple superdrive.     

Thanks,

V